Alkalinity low Calcium high

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am running a Calcium reactor however my alkalinity is low, not sure if I should dose it. 7.50.
need to turn off my Calcium Reactor i am up to 520 if i do turn it off what happens to the water in the reactor?

1768728-bd2678e975099e80d0e32a0acf6f3d71.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i am not familiar w cal reactors,would think try to slow down ,slowly bump alk let balance :) #reefsquad

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dose to up the alk. The reactor should keep it stable.

Per Simon Huntington
A calcium reactor may be described as a 'balanced' calcium / alkalinity additive. Basically, this means that it adds calcium and alkalinity to the tank in the same ratio as is used by our corals during the process of calcification. Simply put, it is not possible to change the calcium level without the alkalinity being affected also in a defined manner.
As an example, for each 1 mEq/L alkalinity (2.8 dKH) the calcium reactor adds 20ppm calcium. If your tank starts out with 3 mEq/L alkalinity (8.4 dKH) and 320 ppm calcium, and you raise the alkalinity to 4 mEq (11.2 dKH) using the calcium reactor, then the calcium level will only increase to 340 ppm!
Natural seawater at 35 ppt salinity typically has around 2.5 mEq/L alkalinity (7 dKH) and a calcium level of 410 ppm, but I personally aim for around 3 mEq/L alkalinity (8.4 dKH) and 420 ppm calcium, and many others prefer even higher levels. Once you have decided on the levels, it is a useful idea to map where the calcium and alkalinity levels are (Bingman 1998) and then perform any corrections needed to get them back on target.
If the calcium level needs boosting, then I recommend using an additive such as calcium chloride. One gram of an anhydrous calcium chloride product (such as Turbo Calcium) will raise the calcium level by 360 ppm in 1 litre of water (95 ppm in 1 gallon of water).
If the alkalinity level needs boosting, then sodium bicarbonate can be used. One gram will raise the alkalinity by 12 mEq/L (34 dKH) in 1 litre of water (3.2 mEq/L (9 dKH) in 1 gallon of water).

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am not familiar w cal reactors,would think try to slow down ,slowly bump alk let balance :) #reefsquad

i am running on 36 on KAMOER i'll drop it to 24, how about the ALK to low i did try to dos it it went up then it went down. i think the way it works is, when you cal is up your alk is down

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you turn it off to long time - It will be anaerobic and you need to rinse it before you start it again. During anaerobic conditions H2S (rotten egg) can be formed and it you turn it on without proper rinsing - you risk to have H2S out in the aquarium - not good.

What "too long time" stands for depend on the organic load in your system. High load - short time (below an hour) - low load - much longer time

But you can also turn it down - as you suggest in your last post - and dose up the alkalinity the way @lapin describe above

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
listen to the experts here..yes cal will go down w alk thus alk will fall also, monitor close ,but have no clue on reactor 3 decades never used one ;)

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you turn it off to long time - It will be anaerobic and you need to rinse it before you start it again. During anaerobic conditions H2S (rotten egg) can be formed and it you turn it on without proper rinsing - you risk to have H2S out in the aquarium - not good.

What "too long time" stands for depend on the organic load in your system. High load - short time (below an hour) - low load - much longer time

But you can also turn it down - as you suggest in your last post - and dose up the alkalinity the way @lapin describe above

Sincerely Lasse

question is, how many hours should i run the reactor to prevent not having anaerobic conditions H2S

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dose to up the alk. The reactor should keep it stable.

Per Simon Huntington
A calcium reactor may be described as a 'balanced' calcium / alkalinity additive. Basically, this means that it adds calcium and alkalinity to the tank in the same ratio as is used by our corals during the process of calcification. Simply put, it is not possible to change the calcium level without the alkalinity being affected also in a defined manner.
As an example, for each 1 mEq/L alkalinity (2.8 dKH) the calcium reactor adds 20ppm calcium. If your tank starts out with 3 mEq/L alkalinity (8.4 dKH) and 320 ppm calcium, and you raise the alkalinity to 4 mEq (11.2 dKH) using the calcium reactor, then the calcium level will only increase to 340 ppm!
Natural seawater at 35 ppt salinity typically has around 2.5 mEq/L alkalinity (7 dKH) and a calcium level of 410 ppm, but I personally aim for around 3 mEq/L alkalinity (8.4 dKH) and 420 ppm calcium, and many others prefer even higher levels. Once you have decided on the levels, it is a useful idea to map where the calcium and alkalinity levels are (Bingman 1998) and then perform any corrections needed to get them back on target.
If the calcium level needs boosting, then I recommend using an additive such as calcium chloride. One gram of an anhydrous calcium chloride product (such as Turbo Calcium) will raise the calcium level by 360 ppm in 1 litre of water (95 ppm in 1 gallon of water).
If the alkalinity level needs boosting, then sodium bicarbonate can be used. One gram will raise the alkalinity by 12 mEq/L (34 dKH) in 1 litre of water (3.2 mEq/L (9 dKH) in 1 gallon of water).

thank you i'll add baking soda, wasn't said,should i add baking soda in a reactor

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i've never ran the reactor ,but can tell ,pumping too much cal,alk can't keep up,get her dialed in correctly

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
asking for help,and then being sarcastic is help for no one ;) not the R2R ;)works

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that is why i called the experts

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I said not to slow the pumps. Just set the ph in the reactor higher so that it no longer adds alk/cal.

wow thank you for doing that for me, which alk is good to use? should i pump the alk in the reactor or should i just use the sodium bicarbonate pump it it the reactor.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back