Alkalinity monitor/controller -experiences

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was because I was using the concentrated liquid that I thought was ready to use that came with the unit. Once that was confirmed that it was concentrated using a Salifert ALK test kit, I made some reagent and everything was much better from that point.

It was testing pretty frequently. Here are the test for that period:

Last edited:

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just an idea of how much reagent I have remaining in my 2 quart container that I use.

d3c1626f93f0192c98b99bb03824aaa3.jpg

No scientific measurements, but this is how much I have left of the 4000g total that I mixed that is ready to use

5411c754ec101d8a7784d40095682c57.jpg

And this is what I have remaining in the concentrated reagent

e9fe89967b8b698ead400cc5e66d6a0c.jpg

Gonna be a while before I need some more do you think?

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to hear about other units as well. I know that there are people out there with one of the other units. Maybe we can get a comparison going of those currently on the market so we all can make the best decision for our tanks. I feel very comfortable with mine. Is it perfect, no, but they are working hard at making it better and better and I can see that from everything I have gone through and how they are there to help get everything resolved.

Let's hear about the other units on the market guys. I know there are other reefers with other units.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the actual chart for that period:

upload_2018-3-27_8-9-47.png

Essentially every 2 hours it was yelling at me :). For my ALK dosing, I have my Vertex doser pushing 60ml kalk every hour.

OK, I was just curious. A lot of folks find dosing during the day and not at night keeps the alk pretty stable. But yours seems to dose pretty evenly 24/7.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I was just curious. A lot of folks find dosing during the day and not at night keeps the alk pretty stable. But yours seems to dose pretty evenly 24/7.

I honestly like it that way because I think (at least now) that smaller doses every hour is more similar to a CaRx than larger doses at certain times of the day. That could change, but that has been my approach. As long as I keep up my husbandry I haven't had any issue growing coral in the past and my frags that I have in my DT are growing at a decent rate. I'd say in 6 months all of them are going to be mini-colonies for sure (again as long as I keep up my husbandry, ;))

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting the kalk in my ATO just left too many variables to deal with (plus burning through tunze pumps). So I just realized that the best approach for me was to talk one of my pumps on the Vertex, run 1 line to my ATO and the other to my kalk stirrer and have it push 60ml every hour. From my measurements you can see that they are generally stable; unless I do something like a water change.

Plus with the Alkatronic, now I can quickly see any downward trends and adjust the amount I am doing per hour and just watch the charting of my ALK through the mobile app and adjust as needed. Takes a lot of the guess work out (specially having an idea of how much is needed to increase my ALK level by what amount).

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the GHL KH Director/SA Doser 2.1 combo. No Profilux controller (I'm using Apex). I've only had the unit setup for ~2weeks so I can't claim extensive experience.

Pros:
Very precise. It tracks (with a bit higher offset) with my Salifert test kit.
Accuracy seems OK, 8.4 KH Director, 8.0 Salifert. VERY dependent on the calibration of pumps. Initially it was reading lower than my Salifert kit before re-running calibration for the reagent dosing head and now it reads a bit higher. Precision to me is MUCH more important than knowing my true ALK level.
4th dosing head can be used to control Alk dosing and is controlled by measured level. If you are using another GHL doser it can adaptively control all pumps to keep 2(or 3/4) part dosing consistent w/ Alk solution
Solid software: android/IOS app, windows software, and web-based site
Compact package
Known, trusted brand

Cons
As of today, I have no ability to see a charted history of readings. GHL has promised an update will add this. Charts are currently only available if you also own a Profilux controller. This is a huge inconvenience.
Doesn't integrate with Apex
Uses a large amount of reagent. I'm testing 4 times/day right now and I've used over half of the original 500ml reagent bottle in 2 weeks. This works out to ~$20/month of reagent

Random thoughts....
The setup was fairly involved. Lots of tubing (cutting, measuring, routing, etc). Lots of calibrating (every doser head, pH probe)
The software is pretty good. The android app works well, the windows app (once I switched to beta ver) works well, the myghl.com site works well. I like the app the best if I'm at home, but it doesn't work remotely.
Testing uses a fairly significant amount of water, 80ml by default, minimum of 50ml. Plus flushing this adds up to a fair amount of waste.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the GHL KH Director/SA Doser 2.1 combo. No Profilux controller (I'm using Apex). I've only had the unit setup for ~2weeks so I can't claim extensive experience.

Pros:
Accuracy seems OK, 8.4 KH Director, 8.0 Salifert. VERY dependent on the calibration of pumps. Initially it was reading lower than my Salifert kit before re-running calibration for the reagent dosing head and now it reads a bit higher. Precision to me is MUCH more important than knowing my true ALK level.
4th dosing head can be used to control Alk dosing and is controlled by measured level. If you are using another GHL doser it can adaptively control all pumps to keep 2(or 3/4) part dosing consistent w/ Alk solution
Compact package
Known, trusted brand

Cons
As of today, I have no ability to see a charted history of readings. GHL has promised an update will add this. Charts are currently only available if you also own a Profilux controller. This is a huge inconvenience.
Uses a large amount of reagent. I'm testing 4 times/day right now and I've used over half of the original 500ml reagent bottle in 2 weeks. This works out to ~$20/month of reagent

Random thoughts....
The setup was fairly involved. Lots of tubing (cutting, measuring, routing, etc). Lots of calibrating (every doser head, pH probe)
The software is pretty good. The android app works well, the windows app (once I switched to beta ver) works well, the myghl.com site works well. I like the app the best if I'm at home, but it doesn't work remotely.
Testing uses a fairly significant amount of water, 80ml by default, minimum of 50ml. Plus flushing this adds up to a fair amount of waste.

Great review of your experience with the GHL. If you had to do it over again, would you make the same decision knowing what you do now?

For me, I would make the same decision. I researched the GHL and from everything I read, there software configuration can be painful. I had a challenge with the Alkatronic at first (mainly because it was something new), but I read horror stories about configuring GHL stuff.

You didn't mention how is the support for it when/if you run into any issues.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pros:
Compact package
Known, trusted brand

Cons

Random thoughts....
Sneaky sneaky! I didn't even know you got one! I better up my internet stalking game. [emoji41]

Thanks for the feedback. Can you update us as you break it in a bit? I didn't even realize you could run it without a GHL controller so I didn't even bother looking into it.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody with a KH Guardian that can chime in? Please? There, you made me beg. [emoji17]

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but I read horror stories about configuring GHL stuff.

I don't own the Guardian, but I own other GHL components. If you followed the release of the Profilux 4, you probably expected the KH Guardian release to be bumpy / painful. It took close to a year for email alerts to be added to Profilux 4.

My point is, just like the Kessil AP700, those that purchased it a year plus after release had a very different experience than the initial users. GHL been selling their doser for years, but only released this mobile app last November 2017. Using the years old deprecated app in summer 2017 was a very frustrating experience.

I'm following the threads loosely, but hoping by the end of the year there will be alot more clarity on all the units out there.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review of your experience with the GHL. If you had to do it over again, would you make the same decision knowing what you do now?

For me, I would make the same decision. I researched the GHL and from everything I read, there software configuration can be painful. I had a challenge with the Alkatronic at first (mainly because it was something new), but I read horror stories about configuring GHL stuff.

You didn't mention how is the support for it when/if you run into any issues.
I'd definitely recommend the KH Director for anyone that's already in the GHL system (Profilux or Doser). Doing it again... I might go with the Alkatronic to allow integration with my Apex.

I didn't find the software config to be too complex. I had a couple issues though that I should mention. The WIFI wouldn't connect when my SSID contained special characters (nor does the Apex) :mad: The manual is very thorough and easy to follow (I thought) except for one point where it said to "vent' the line which caused the hose to explode off of the unit ;Rage.

Support-wise - I haven't needed to contact GHL directly for any issues. I've relied on following others who setup their units before me (using the thread here on R2R).

Sneaky sneaky! I didn't even know you got one! I better up my internet stalking game. [emoji41]

Thanks for the feedback. Can you update us as you break it in a bit? I didn't even realize you could run it without a GHL controller so I didn't even bother looking into it.
;Stig (there's no ninja emoji)

It runs fine without the GHL controller, but I do wish it could report/log on the Apex.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely recommend the KH Director for anyone that's already in the GHL system (Profilux or Doser). Doing it again... I might go with the Alkatronic to allow integration with my Apex.

I didn't find the software config to be too complex. I had a couple issues though that I should mention. The WIFI wouldn't connect when my SSID contained special characters (nor does the Apex) :mad: The manual is very thorough and easy to follow (I thought) except for one point where it said to "vent' the line which caused the hose to explode off of the unit ;Rage.

Support-wise - I haven't needed to contact GHL directly for any issues. I've relied on following others who setup their units before me (using the thread here on R2R).

;Stig (there's no ninja emoji)

It runs fine without the GHL controller, but I do wish it could report/log on the Apex.
Having integration with my controller is kind of a big deal for me as well as monitoring and controlling remotely. I'm assuming those with a GHL controller will be able to do this. I'm not interested in getting a GHL controller nor do I think they will have future plans for it to work with an Apex.

I guess its back to Alkatronic or KH director for now. Maybe I'll wait so long that Trident or another controller will come to market then. [emoji16]

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that replied to the thread originally, 3 months later what do you feel about your unit of choice?

I am 99.9% satisfied with my original decision of purchasing the Alkatronic. It has been rock solid and now that I have the quiet fix installed (BTW I cannot even hear it when testing and neither can my wife and she has cat ears ;)), money well spent. Keeping my alk extremely close to where I want it and helps identify when my usage increases so I can adjust my kalk dosage. Glad I did buy it prior to the price increase at CoralVue (that speaks volumes too about the unit as well).

Hope everyone is still having success with their other units (I personally know someone regretting buying the KH Guardian for sure, he is :mad:).

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that replied to the thread originally, 3 months later what do you feel about your unit of choice?

I am 99.9% satisfied with my original decision of purchasing the Alkatronic. It has been rock solid and now that I have the quiet fix installed (BTW I cannot even hear it when testing and neither can my wife and she has cat ears ;)), money well spent. Keeping my alk extremely close to where I want it and helps identify when my usage increases so I can adjust my kalk dosage. Glad I did buy it prior to the price increase at CoralVue (that speaks volumes too about the unit as well).

Hope everyone is still having success with their other units (I personally know someone regretting buying the KH Guardian for sure, he is :mad:).
I'm loving my Alkatronic so far. I'm still just learning it but Roman is always super helpful and super responsive. Its nice to be able to directly reach the creator of the product for help.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving my Alkatronic so far. I'm still just learning it but Roman is always super helpful and super responsive. Its nice to be able to directly reach the creator of the product for help.

FarmerTy you took the plunge, that’s awesome. I been reading your stuff and you have an awesome DT. I am sure you are gonna be trimming much more than usual now. I am loving the piece of mind it offers. Went out of town and it was great having it supplement my dosing regiment as usage increased.

It is absolutely incredible to be able to chat with Jonas if needed too.

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been looking at all the coral stock I've amassed over the years and starting to realize I'm one alk crash away from a loss of a pretty heavy investment up to this point.

For those that own one of the new alk monitors/controllers, what's been your experience with it?
-Would you recommend it?
-Cost of operation reasonable?
-Compatible with your Apex controller or other controller?
-Have the results been pretty reliable?
-How about customer support?

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm not sure if I'm going to jump on any just yet as I am curious about the Neptune Apex Ca/Alk/Mg monitor coming out soon but it'd be nice to see what people's experiences have been so far with the ones currently available.

Alkatronic User here
Cost to get going seems pretty reasonable the entry fee for the alkatronic was $799 but that has now gone up to $899.
No controller used on my end, but it will send a signal (bnc connector) to it
results have been pretty good, reagent mixing is key to steady results (premixed reagent would be better imo, would take out a step of error)
customer support has been great, i read the manual but still did things wrong and they would tell me exactly what was wrong!

pros:
I can check my alk pretty much on spot or have the program run and plot it every few hours (even if reagent isnt mixed correctly you can see a trend)
sense of security
happy corals

cons:
mixing reagent (i have mixed reagent 4 times now and you have to be as accurate as possible to get exact results) The first time i used a graduated cylinder that was not very accurate, the 250ml of reagent that came with the unit was premeasured, but the ro water i used was probably not a try 1000ml, next i did the same thing but had to use the other reagent i purchased(4l bottle) poured 250ml into not accurate measuring device and then ro water, 3/4th time i used a scale to weigh the water/reagent 250 grams and 1000grams mixed exactly correct. I see that the alk # seems to differ from the salifert test when i do a test to 4.5 ph (not sure if that is the same metric that the alkatronic does, and i use a different ph probe (so there is a bit of error there)

other con is the android app, it constantly asks for bluetooth connection and if your screen goes to sleep you better restart the alkatronic to get it to connect again.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back