Alkalinity question

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the Hanna Alkilinity DKH tester. So I did my first test and it was 3.8 DKH. I have a 13.5 gallon fluval tank and eventually would like to put in some zoanthids or easy to keep corals. What should my ideal DKH be for them? Should I start figuring out a dosing procedure to get to the right and stable level? Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the Hanna Alkilinity DKH tester. So I did my first test and it was 3.8 DKH. I have a 13.5 gallon fluval tank and eventually would like to put in some zoanthids or easy to keep corals. What should my ideal DKH be for them? Should I start figuring out a dosing procedure to get to the right and stable level? Thanks in advance for any advice or help.
I keep my Alk around 7.5-8 and have a mixed reef. Depending on the salt your using you most likely will not need to dose.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically whatever alk your mixed salt water is, should be your target. So my salt mixes to about 7dkh each time. Thats my target. Makes it easier to keep things stable.

Your tank being 13gal will be pretty easy in the beginning to keep it stable with regular weekly water changes. However, if down the line you keep lps and sps you may find you will need to dose because of the small water volume.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your results are almost certainly inaccurate. I would start there before making any dosing decisions off those values.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back