Alkalinity rising question....o_O

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the deal, I dose and test my tank daily. I use API test, and the thing is I missed dosing yesterday and I thought I would come home see a solid 7dkh reading and to my surprise my reading was 10 dkh. On a daily bases before I dose I typically always test and it's always 8dkh and I mean always. The only big change in my tank recently is Nitrate, my levels were at 80ppm and I did a 50% water change on my 75 gallon and that dropped my Nitrates to 40ppm. I use coral pro salt, so I tested and waited for the alkalinity change to smooth out and when it reached 8dkh I began to dose again to continue the daily regiment. So my question is. Is their any correlation between Nitrates dropping and alkalinity rising that any of you are fimiliar with? Other than that unless you can see a problem as to what I stated I'm at a lose. Also my sps are not ripping or anything so the fluctuations have been stable. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you very much
Steviereefs

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates and ALk have no correlation. If you did a 50% WC, then I'm guessin th salt raised it for you, and there would hav been no reason to dose at that point.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea coral pro has a very high alk, 12-13 dkh I've heard. The large water change likely raised your alk.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea coral pro has a very high alk, 12-13 dkh I've heard. The large water change likely raised your alk.
I totaly agree with the water change and the salt. But i would be more worried your nitrates. 10 dkh of alk. is fine.

OP
OP
Steviereefs

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totaly agree with the water change and the salt. But i would be more worried your nitrates. 10 dkh of alk. is fine.
Yeah LOL my nitrates are ridiculous. Hence the water changes they've been steadily high for awhile, the corals are fine the only negative impact visual was some sps are much darker shades and also growth has been slow but I haven't lost anything. But I am addressing it.

OP
OP
Steviereefs

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the alkalinity topic though. I argee with you guys but the thing is I monitored the alkalinity after the water change because I knew the salt would bring it up and It took two days for it to come back down to 8dkh and that's when I went back to the norm dosing regiment so...... I'm still a little lost.... Anything else you could think of?
Thanks again guys

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get another test kit. Retest the water with a friends kit, or take it to the LFS. ALk just can't rise by itself.

OP
OP
Steviereefs

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to test my next batch before my water change and I'll post on it. Usually on water change days unless my alk is very low I don't dose the day of because coral pro take care of it. So I'll post on it

OP
OP
Steviereefs

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get another test kit. Retest the water with a friends kit, or take it to the LFS. ALk just can't rise by itself.
Thanks bud, I'm gonna go this route I'm just glad it can't just raise by itself thats mostly all I wanted to know. Ill retest with a friends and see what happened perhaps it was just a fluke.

OP
OP
Steviereefs

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer, did you start dosing vodka in the first place because of high nutrients ?
If so could you post a link to you tank thread because I would like to see the benefits, if you would mind
Traditionally I didn't want to go this route to reduce my nitrates but if they continue to be a problem I might try it.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a huge tank, and didn't want to do 25% water changes weekly to get the Nitrates down, would have cost me to much. So I started Vodka Dosing a couple years ago, been doing it ever since. I also don't use GFO, to costly compared to using SeaKlear liquid Phosphate remover. I dont' have a buld thread or a thread on my tank.
But I do have pics of the things I have in my tank.
My current readings are, I just took them over the weekend
Trates- 0
Phosphates-0
PH 8.3
Alk- 10 (using Baking Soda)
Cal- 460 (using Calcion)
Magnesium- 1400 (using Magnesion)
Pics of my current tank and its inhabitants.
Reefing Madness Tank Shots

oicani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may also want to test for Cal and see where it's at. Also pH. There is a relationship with the 3 that will place your tank out of balance.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back