Alkalinity seems low

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just ran a test and my alk came out at around 90 ppm, is this too low? Corals have been fine, no serious issues. What are my best steps to taise the alk? Any input is appreciated.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just ran a test and my alk came out at around 90 ppm, is this too low? Corals have been fine, no serious issues. What are my best steps to taise the alk? Any input is appreciated.
Hi, 90 ppm is very low you would want at least 130ppm. There are lots of brands of alk but the main thing would be to raise it slow no more then 10-20 ppm per day.

OP
OP
MurphyTheClownfish

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, 90 ppm is very low you would want at least 130ppm. There are lots of brands of alk but the main thing would be to raise it slow no more then 10-20 ppm per day.
Alright, so no drastic changes. I'll look into alk brands. Thanks!

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember that you do not want to fix this in one shot. Try to spread it out over a few days/weeks. An alk spike is worse then low and steady alk.

OP
OP
MurphyTheClownfish

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember that you do not want to fix this in one shot. Try to spread it out over a few days/weeks. An alk spike is worse then low and steady alk.
Yeah for sure. I'm definitely going to do some research before I jump into anything anyway. But I'll definitely be spreading it over a longer period of time, makes it easier to monitor and fix issues as well. Thanks for the input

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back