Alkalinity

Spanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. We recently took over maintenance of our two year old 65gal nano tank.

All tests we have performed have come back normal except alkalinity. Seems to be high between 14-16 my main question is about the actual test. We are using a Red Sea multi test kit. My question is in regards to when to start counting. The test says to add one drop of solution then it should be blue... but my samples haven’t turned blue until around 3 drops. It then says to count the number of drops until it turns green. So I am wondering do I count from 1 or 3?
If I count from 1 my alkalinity is 14 dkh but if I count from 3 it is 11 dkh which is much more in range?
Anyone have experience with this kit?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef

Best advice:

Buy yourself the Hanna dKH checker?

Reagents

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef

Best advice:

Buy yourself the Hanna dKH checker?

Reagents
But you didn’t answer the question, only gave em your recommendation of the product they should use

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

All tests we have performed have come back normal except alkalinity. Seems to be high between 14-16 my main question is about the actual test. We are using a Red Sea multi test kit. My question is in regards to when to start counting. The test says to add one drop of solution then it should be blue... but my samples haven’t turned blue until around 3 drops. It then says to count the number of drops until it turns green. So I am wondering do I count from 1 or 3?
If I count from 1 my alkalinity is 14 dkh but if I count from 3 it is 11 dkh which is much more in range?
Hannah are great but take time to test...if you want a quicker result Try the giessmann test kits...we went through the same issues and giessmann seemed to be our favorite and we tried all of the main tests.

We ended up with a trident and giessmann as a fall back. The trident and giessmann are only off by .01-.5 for us.

Everyone has their favorite tests to use and it really is just a trial and error.

The other thing I would add is mixing salt is just as important. Do you buy your water or make your own?

If you make your own make sure to test the fresh salt mix.

Your alk out of any salt mix other than a "pro" mix should be around 9. They all mix to a certain level.

When we used red sea we would start counting after the test turned blue. So after 3 drops.

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm a little confused. The red sea alk test that I have used utilizes a 1 ml syringe that results in a color change after a specific amount of solution has been added. Is this test different?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a little confused. The red sea alk test that I have used utilizes a 1 ml syringe that results in a color change after a specific amount of solution has been added. Is this test different?
There are 2 red sea test kits which does throw some people off.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you didn’t answer the question, only gave em your recommendation of the product they should use

It's all good, I'll stick with my advice.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same test? If not it’s the same situation

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same test

This one?

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1423576821.350382.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you didn’t answer the question

The old red sea "Pro" alk kit: Card showed Red as endpoint

You would stop tritration not at Red, but as soon as you saw a color change.

Endpoint could have been orgrangish, pinkish or red.

You would see a flash of gray, then when it turned to one of the above stop, and take your reading.

Salifert:
Stop at the lavender hue, not going until the hot pink.

lol
Just get the Hanna

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The old red sea alk kit: Card showed Red as endpoint

You would stop tritration not at Red, but as soon as you saw a color change.

Endpoint could have been orgrangish, pinkish or red.

You would see a flash of gray, then when it turned to one of the above stop, and take your reading.

Salifert:
Stop at the lavender hue, not going until the hot pink.

lol
Just get the Hanna
The color scheme on these test kits really are way out of wack...especially phos testing

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color scheme on these test kits really are way out of wack...especially phos testing

Yeah,

Most use the Hanna ULR checker for phosphates, but those are the only two of the Hanna line that I can recommend.

Alk and Phos - Hanna

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hanna alk test aren’t perfect either, I know of quite a few people recently that got a recent bad batch of reagents that tested WAY off. I have Hanna, Salifert, Red Sea and Alkatronic and only trust Alkatronic and Salifert.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back