All about ANTHIAS questions

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with water temperature.

Being a deep water fish, Anthias are used to live in cooler water environment.

Anthias enthusiasts, please chime in.

Apart from good water quality and feeding, does Anthias really care about water temperature?

If so, do you dial the heater down or crank up the chiller to suits Anthias natural habitat?

At what temperature do you normally keep your Anthias in captivity?

Are they housed with entirely different species? If so, wouldn't the warmer kind of species suffer? Or do you keep it at mid point in between?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with water temperature.

Being a deep water fish, Anthias are used to live in cooler water environment.

Anthias enthusiasts, please chime in.

Apart from good water quality and feeding, does Anthias really care about water temperature?

If so, do you dial the heater down or crank up the chiller to suits Anthias natural habitat?

At what temperature do you normally keep your Anthias in captivity?

Are they housed with entirely different species? If so, wouldn't the warmer kind of species suffer? Or do you keep it at mid point in between?
Actually, some of the Anthias are shallow water varieties such as the Dispar Anthias. My Dispar do just fine with a tank temperature between 77F-79F.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, some of the Anthias are shallow water varieties such as the Dispar Anthias. My Dispar do just fine with a tank temperature between 77F-79F.

Thanks @Brew12 this is where the confusion is. If one to house mixed anthias, deep and shallow, at what point of temperature would you draw the line?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Brew12 this is where the confusion is. If one to house mixed anthias, deep and shallow, at what point of temperature would you draw the line?
I think with a good acclimation and consistancy in the long run it wouldn't matter

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep lyretail anthias long term with great success in 77-79 degree water.

The piece I would add is, success/requirements are highly species specific. For example, I find that resplendent anthias require much more frequent feeding to stay healthy, while lyretail seem to be ok with 1-2 bigger feedings per day, making their eating habits more akin to other tankmates. (my anthias are fat and happy so they definitely are not hungry).

I kept resplendent anthias for a while but had to feed small meals 3-4 times per day to keep up with their metabolism/feeding habits. This might be prohibitive to some folks who want to keep them. Other folks may have had different experiences?

Another tip from my experience, when you first get anthias, they are used to eating plankton. So dont expect them to eat flake or big frozen foods right away. Try cyclopeez, or other very small foods and get them eating SOMETHING, then work your way up to easier, bigger foods. Mine now happily eat LRS or Rods, in addition to blackworms.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I would worry about it for the majority of species commonly available. Remember, the average ocean reef temperature is 82F-83F so most hobbyists keep their tanks relatively cool by comparison. If you keep your tank under 80F I doubt you will have any issues.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That they come from depth is not so much a temperature problem as a light acclimation problem. Acclimate to light slowly and have plenty of overhangs in your tank for them to hover under. The other thing I have increasingly found is that the smaller, less boisterous species struggle in a community tank, even one that is fed frequently.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! next question folks please ...

@ca1ore @Brew12 @NeverlosT @justingraham and other #anthiaslovers #anthias

in 2 foot cube tank, if I am to purchase: a Randall, a Sunburst and a Dispar ... in which order should they go first? Any input would be much appreciated !

Randall is rarer than Sunburst; Dispar is everywhere.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! next question folks please ...

@ca1ore @Brew12 @NeverlosT @justingraham and other #anthiaslovers #anthias

in 2 foot cube tank, if I am to purchase: a Randall, a Sunburst and a Dispar ... in which order should they go first? Any input would be much appreciated !

Randall is rarer than Sunburst; Dispar is everywhere.
Order doesn't matter on those 3, but dispar and randalls do better with others of their own kind.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order doesn't matter on those 3, but dispar and randalls do better with others of their own kind.

Hmmmm can I confirm if this is facts? That Dispar and Randall will not do well on its own and it will be better in school?

Better here, i meant health and happiness wise. Better in colour in school, i don't really mind at all; it's the risk that i am willing to take with 2 foot cube.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buying anthias in my experience in groups is good/bad. Good because I think an established group is more healthy and look awesome. Bad because while they are establishing that pecking order they may end up killing the low man on the totem pole (bullying).

I dont have a ton of experience with Randall or Dispar, so I cannot comment on those in particular.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its a 2 foot cube, I would stick with Randalls or Resplendants .I won't keep dispar or any other bigger anthias with them . I currently have 6 randalls and 1 charlenae in my 30 in x 30 in x 18 in tank after loosing 2 charlenaes and 3 loris to dreadful dinos :(

Randalls are easier species than loris but probably a little harder to keep compared to dispar . Peaceful but sometimes tempermental among themselves.
Food is probably the most critical followed by temparture. I feed a mix of nutramar ova , mysis , lrs and ofcourse live brine shrimps everyday for about 4 times a day. They get 5-6 servings over the weekend.
Temparatures are best kept low between 76-78 F for better activity.

Make sure you quarantine them no matter where they come from and have them fatten up before moving to DT where they have to compete with other fishes for food .

Randall's are probably my most favorite anthias after purple queens . Be on the lookout for Resplendants from Divers den as they are almost similar species to Randalls.

Few more tips :-

• While introducing the randalls to DT after QT , better to put them in acclimation boxes for a week or so so that they get adjusted to the tank inhabitants.
  • They are a little deep water anthias and hence slowly increase light in QT over time so that they get used to the light
  • Anthias generally LOVE flow . I always keep my pumps on while feeding as the movement of the frozen food entices them .

Regards,
Abhishek

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm can I confirm if this is facts? That Dispar and Randall will not do well on its own and it will be better in school?

Better here, i meant health and happiness wise. Better in colour in school, i don't really mind at all; it's the risk that i am willing to take with 2 foot cube.
Randalls and dispars are less outgoing, less colorful, and have shorter lives without others of their own kind. I have kept both numerous times, and also take care of a few other tanks with these species in them.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randall's are probably my most favorite anthias after purple queens.

Each to their own I suppose, but @Abhishek that one line above (quoted) is one bold statement; so you liked purple queens and Randall above the likes of Ventralis and Sunburst? or is it relevant only to your 30x30x18 tank?

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each to their own I suppose, but @Abhishek that one line above (quoted) is one bold statement; so you liked purple queens and Randall above the likes of Ventralis and Sunburst? or is it relevant only to your 30x30x18 tank?

I never kept sunburst so can't comment . Ventralis is the hardest of all anthias I have kept in the past . They never seem to do well in community tanks and best kept in large numbers of their own . Hence doesn't make my favs .

Regards,
Abhishek

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randalls haven't done particularly well in my tank. They are small, nervous and don't compete well for food. In the future I'd only keep them in a lower aggression tank. Bigger ones like bimac, Bartlett and square do much better for me. Also thinking about getting a Pictilis at some point; maybe more bimacs.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The op has a 2 foot cube and hence I would suggest to stay away from bimacs , bartletts , Evansi , square backs .. they are aggressive kind a little and need way bigger tanks .

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randalls haven't done particularly well in my tank. They are small, nervous and don't compete well for food. In the future I'd only keep them in a lower aggression tank. Bigger ones like bimac, Bartlett and square do much better for me. Also thinking about getting a Pictilis at some point; maybe more bimacs.
I've found randalls to be pretty hardy, but don't often keep them with tangs.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I almost sure I read (yesterday) Ventralis haven't done well.... @ca1ore.... Must have misread

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never actually kept ventralis. Don't recall ever seeing them at LFS, and they're a bit too pricey for an anthias.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back