Status
Not open for further replies.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, one more question. I can get a female isosceles or a male exquisitius from a trusted online vendor. The female Isosceles would likely be better from a compatibility standpoint, but I'm unclear as to how large isosceles gets as some sites state like 3" and relatively small tanks, while some state 5". Tank size isn't an issue as my tank is 6'x2'x19", but I want the two fairies and the Claudia to be my largest fish (I think smaller fish look more natural). How large does isosceles get?
For social dynamics, three fairy/flasher wrasses do better than just two.

Ryukyuensis get big for fairy wrasses, so an exquisitus will be bigger and sturdier than an isosceles, though either should be fine.

Isosceles reach a little over 4".

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For social dynamics, three fairy/flasher wrasses do better than just two.

Ryukyuensis get big for fairy wrasses, so an exquisitus will be bigger and sturdier than an isosceles, though either should be fine.

Isosceles reach a little over 4".

Great info.! I didn’t realize 3 is better than two, though I guess it allows for a more spread and defined hierarchy. The Claudia wouldn’t really fit into that, correct? If not, I guess it might be best to go with the exquisitius and the isosceles. Thoughts?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info.! I didn’t realize 3 is better than two, though I guess it allows for a more spread and defined hierarchy. The Claudia wouldn’t really fit into that, correct? If not, I guess it might be best to go with the exquisitius and the isosceles. Thoughts?
Correct, the claudia won't factor too much in the fairy dynamics.

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone should've warned that buying a wrasse can give you an ulcer. :)

Purchased an Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus) from Diver's Den. Followed all the instructions provided. Opened the bag and wrasse is on his side and not moving. Feeling shattered. Gently touch the wrasse and starts moving around!

He's been in the tank for two days now. Movement is so beautiful. Hides when I approach the tank. From a distance, he's moving around.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, if all goes well, I'll be releasing my H. Melanurus next week. Assuming just a couple days in my acclimation box, do I need to put a sand container in that? I have a small, round container that is maybe 2" in diameter that would fit in the box, but 2" is slightly shorter than the fish (fish probably > 2" but < 3"). In other words, if the fish was perfectly level and straight, it would touch the sides of the container.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, if all goes well, I'll be releasing my H. Melanurus next week. Assuming just a couple days in my acclimation box, do I need to put a sand container in that? I have a small, round container that is maybe 2" in diameter that would fit in the box, but 2" is slightly shorter than the fish (fish probably > 2" but < 3"). In other words, if the fish was perfectly level and straight, it would touch the sides of the container.
No, the melanurus will be fine for a day or two without sand. Just provide some cover, such as pvc fittings.

JakeK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: Will a female fairy wrasse change to a male without the presence of other fairy wrasses in the tank? If so, how long does the process take?

FWIW - I have two male flasher wrasses in the tank + 1 male richmond's wrasse.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: Will a female fairy wrasse change to a male without the presence of other fairy wrasses in the tank? If so, how long does the process take?

FWIW - I have two male flasher wrasses in the tank + 1 male richmond's wrasse.
Female fairy wrasses almost always transition to male regardless of whether a male is present or not. It can be as quick as a few weeks or it can take over a year.

JakeK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Female fairy wrasses almost always transition to male regardless of whether a male is present or not. It can be as quick as a few weeks or it can take over a year.

Thank you!

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My diamond goby ate both of my neon gobies. [emoji35] And now my tangs are ticked off. What other fish like to clean ectoparasites off fish besides the cleaner Wrasse and the neon gobies?? Aren't there some other wrasses that clean? How are the lined wrasses?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My diamond goby ate both of my neon gobies. [emoji35] And now my tangs are ticked off. What other fish like to clean ectoparasites off fish besides the cleaner Wrasse and the neon gobies?? Aren't there some other wrasses that clean? How are the lined wrasses?
Juvenile Halichoeres, Pseudocheilinus, Pseudodax, will clean, but aren't always eager to do so. And Pseudocheilinus wrasses can often become aggressive.

IIRC you have a pretty large tank, big enough to support a cleaner wrasse.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA moved the Melanarus Wrasse from the reef-safe section to the non-reef safe section on their website.

I'm somewhat afraid to do this, but I'm going to get a small labroides dimidiatus cleaner wrasse and hope it doesn't get aggressive and shred my fish to pieces. My tank is 8' long- 240 gallons with tangs and other peaceful fish.

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering on buying Rosy Scales or Red Velvet (C. Rubrisquamis) for my 180. I already have a few fairies, C. Solorensis, C. Isosceles, C. Exquisitus. They are all good size as they have been in the tank for at least 4 to 6 months. I just reviewed @evolved's chart and it has them in red. How aggressive do they get?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering on buying Rosy Scales or Red Velvet (C. Rubrisquamis) for my 180. I already have a few fairies, C. Solorensis, C. Isosceles, C. Exquisitus. They are all good size as they have been in the tank for at least 4 to 6 months. I just reviewed @evolved's chart and it has them in red. How aggressive do they get?
C. rubrisquamis are slightly more aggressive than the solorensis. It should fit in well with your current stock.

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would aRed Head Solon Fairy Wrasse, be ok in a 65 gallon? I've read online anywhere from a 50 to a 75, right now i just have a starry blenny and a cuc in it, its been up for 4 months, also have a 20 gallon sump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back