Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by evolved, Aug 4, 2016.

All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Below, you will find sections about: these guidelines, wrasses which qualify as reef safe, the general requirements, feeding, shipping,...
By evolved, Aug 4, 2016 | |
  1. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

For social dynamics, three fairy/flasher wrasses do better than just two.

Ryukyuensis get big for fairy wrasses, so an exquisitus will be bigger and sturdier than an isosceles, though either should be fine.

Isosceles reach a little over 4".

Crashjack likes this.

2. Crashjack

Crashjack Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Great info.! I didn’t realize 3 is better than two, though I guess it allows for a more spread and defined hierarchy. The Claudia wouldn’t really fit into that, correct? If not, I guess it might be best to go with the exquisitius and the isosceles. Thoughts?

3. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

Correct, the claudia won't factor too much in the fairy dynamics.

4. Fringe09

Fringe09 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

Someone should've warned that buying a wrasse can give you an ulcer. :)

Purchased an Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus) from Diver's Den. Followed all the instructions provided. Opened the bag and wrasse is on his side and not moving. Feeling shattered. Gently touch the wrasse and starts moving around!

He's been in the tank for two days now. Movement is so beautiful. Hides when I approach the tank. From a distance, he's moving around.

5. Crashjack

Quick question, if all goes well, I'll be releasing my H. Melanurus next week. Assuming just a couple days in my acclimation box, do I need to put a sand container in that? I have a small, round container that is maybe 2" in diameter that would fit in the box, but 2" is slightly shorter than the fish (fish probably > 2" but < 3"). In other words, if the fish was perfectly level and straight, it would touch the sides of the container.

6. eatbreakfast

No, the melanurus will be fine for a day or two without sand. Just provide some cover, such as pvc fittings.

Crashjack likes this.
  7. Crashjack

Thanks!

8. JakeK

JakeK Well-Known Member

Question: Will a female fairy wrasse change to a male without the presence of other fairy wrasses in the tank? If so, how long does the process take?

FWIW - I have two male flasher wrasses in the tank + 1 male richmond's wrasse.

9. eatbreakfast

Female fairy wrasses almost always transition to male regardless of whether a male is present or not. It can be as quick as a few weeks or it can take over a year.

10. Mark Gray

Mark Gray Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

Good read

Draft saved Draft deleted