Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by evolved, Aug 4, 2016.

All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Below, you will find sections about: these guidelines, wrasses which qualify as reef safe, the general requirements, feeding, shipping,...
By evolved, Aug 4, 2016 | |
  1. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

For social dynamics, three fairy/flasher wrasses do better than just two.

Ryukyuensis get big for fairy wrasses, so an exquisitus will be bigger and sturdier than an isosceles, though either should be fine.

Isosceles reach a little over 4".

Crashjack likes this.

2. Crashjack

Crashjack Active Member R2R Supporter

Great info.! I didn’t realize 3 is better than two, though I guess it allows for a more spread and defined hierarchy. The Claudia wouldn’t really fit into that, correct? If not, I guess it might be best to go with the exquisitius and the isosceles. Thoughts?

3. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

Correct, the claudia won't factor too much in the fairy dynamics.

4. Fringe09

Fringe09 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Someone should've warned that buying a wrasse can give you an ulcer. :)

Purchased an Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus) from Diver's Den. Followed all the instructions provided. Opened the bag and wrasse is on his side and not moving. Feeling shattered. Gently touch the wrasse and starts moving around!

He's been in the tank for two days now. Movement is so beautiful. Hides when I approach the tank. From a distance, he's moving around.

Conrod christian likes this.
  5. Crashjack

Quick question, if all goes well, I'll be releasing my H. Melanurus next week. Assuming just a couple days in my acclimation box, do I need to put a sand container in that? I have a small, round container that is maybe 2" in diameter that would fit in the box, but 2" is slightly shorter than the fish (fish probably > 2" but < 3"). In other words, if the fish was perfectly level and straight, it would touch the sides of the container.

6. eatbreakfast

No, the melanurus will be fine for a day or two without sand. Just provide some cover, such as pvc fittings.

Crashjack likes this.
  7. Crashjack

Thanks!

8. JakeK

JakeK Active Member

Question: Will a female fairy wrasse change to a male without the presence of other fairy wrasses in the tank? If so, how long does the process take?

FWIW - I have two male flasher wrasses in the tank + 1 male richmond's wrasse.

fishybizzness likes this.
  9. eatbreakfast

Female fairy wrasses almost always transition to male regardless of whether a male is present or not. It can be as quick as a few weeks or it can take over a year.

Conrod christian and JakeK like this.
  10. Mark Gray

Mark Gray Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Good read

evolved likes this.
  11. JakeK

JakeK Active Member

Thank you!

12. Empress

Empress Valuable Member

Does the blue streak cleaner Wrasse sleep in the sand?

13. eatbreakfast

Nope.

Empress likes this.
  14. Empress

Empress Valuable Member

My diamond goby ate both of my neon gobies. And now my tangs are ticked off. What other fish like to clean ectoparasites off fish besides the cleaner Wrasse and the neon gobies?? Aren't there some other wrasses that clean? How are the lined wrasses?

15. eatbreakfast

Juvenile Halichoeres, Pseudocheilinus, Pseudodax, will clean, but aren't always eager to do so. And Pseudocheilinus wrasses can often become aggressive.

IIRC you have a pretty large tank, big enough to support a cleaner wrasse.

Empress likes this.
  16. leahfiish

leahfiish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I have seen my Earmuff wrasse cleaning my clownfish.

Empress likes this.
  17. Empress

Empress Valuable Member

LA moved the Melanarus Wrasse from the reef-safe section to the non-reef safe section on their website.

I'm somewhat afraid to do this, but I'm going to get a small labroides dimidiatus cleaner wrasse and hope it doesn't get aggressive and shred my fish to pieces. My tank is 8' long- 240 gallons with tangs and other peaceful fish.

18. lilchris_357

lilchris_357 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I'm considering on buying Rosy Scales or Red Velvet (C. Rubrisquamis) for my 180. I already have a few fairies, C. Solorensis, C. Isosceles, C. Exquisitus. They are all good size as they have been in the tank for at least 4 to 6 months. I just reviewed @evolved's chart and it has them in red. How aggressive do they get?

19. eatbreakfast

C. rubrisquamis are slightly more aggressive than the solorensis. It should fit in well with your current stock.

20. tidefanjam

tidefanjam Active Member Build Thread Contributor

would aRed Head Solon Fairy Wrasse, be ok in a 65 gallon? I've read online anywhere from a 50 to a 75, right now i just have a starry blenny and a cuc in it, its been up for 4 months, also have a 20 gallon sump.

Draft saved Draft deleted