OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm wondering if I should only get one Wrasse. Of the two that I mentioned which one is a better fit for a rather peaceful reef?
It's worth mentioning that neither is guaranteed to be peaceful though. I do agree that in general solorensis is the more mild choice, but sometimes specimens of that species can be pretty feisty as well. If you really want to ensure a peaceful species, your best bet is neither of them. :p

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's worth mentioning that neither is guaranteed to be peaceful though. I do agree that in general solorensis is the more mild choice, but sometimes specimens of that species can be pretty feisty as well. If you really want to ensure a peaceful species, your best bet is neither of them. :p

Vendors are stating that both of those fish are "peaceful". But they're just trying to make a buck or two. [emoji857]

FireEMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased two wrasse from divers den a couple weeks ago. One is a yellow fined flasher and the other is a tono's fairy wrasse. The yellow fined is terminal phase and the tono is initial. My question is about the Tono, it was swimming around for the first couple days but for the last 2 weeks its been hiding in a cave and I haven't seen it out once, even to eat. What should I do, I peek in there with a flashlight and its still alive but I worry. Any information would be great.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there, my questions are about the Mystery Wrasse. Tank specs: RSR 250 (54G DT), initial cycle began 12/7/16, 45 pounds pukani with some amphipods, dabbling in the Triton method, Tank inhabitants: Coral Beauty, Ocellaris, Azure Damsel, planning to get some more Azure Damsels, a few hermits and snails, just getting into corals: LPS, softies, two of each. Sand bed: Tropic Eden miniflakes, an inch on top of eggcrate. The eggcrate was put down first and the sand was put down on top and around the rock.

Is this sand ok and how much more do I need? My CB fish is digging in the sand, making the bed unlevel and I'm afraid a Mystery Wrasse would dive into the eggcrate. Is LA a good place to get a MW? It will be awhile before I setup a QT so I might use Safety Stop liquid quarantine. I have an acclimation box is social acclimation necessary? All help is appreciated.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased two wrasse from divers den a couple weeks ago. One is a yellow fined flasher and the other is a tono's fairy wrasse. The yellow fined is terminal phase and the tono is initial. My question is about the Tono, it was swimming around for the first couple days but for the last 2 weeks its been hiding in a cave and I haven't seen it out once, even to eat. What should I do, I peek in there with a flashlight and its still alive but I worry. Any information would be great.
What other fish are in the tank? Was the flasher chasing or displaying at the tono? Usually incessant hiding is from bullying. This is a bit surprising, as tonos can be quite assertive themselves to other fairy and flasher wrasses.
Hello there, my questions are about the Mystery Wrasse. Tank specs: RSR 250 (54G DT), initial cycle began 12/7/16, 45 pounds pukani with some amphipods, dabbling in the Triton method, Tank inhabitants: Coral Beauty, Ocellaris, Azure Damsel, planning to get some more Azure Damsels, a few hermits and snails, just getting into corals: LPS, softies, two of each. Sand bed: Tropic Eden miniflakes, an inch on top of eggcrate. The eggcrate was put down first and the sand was put down on top and around the rock.

Is this sand ok and how much more do I need? My CB fish is digging in the sand, making the bed unlevel and I'm afraid a Mystery Wrasse would dive into the eggcrate. Is LA a good place to get a MW? It will be awhile before I setup a QT so I might use Safety Stop liquid quarantine. I have an acclimation box is social acclimation necessary? All help is appreciated.
Mystery wrasses don't bury. However, it will prevent you from adding wrasses in the future.

FireEMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in the tank? Was the flasher chasing or displaying at the tono? Usually incessant hiding is from bullying. This is a bit surprising, as tonos can be quite assertive themselves to other fairy and flasher wrasses.

Mystery wrasses don't bury. However, it will prevent you from adding wrasses in the future.

I only have a pair of clowns, a lawnmower blenny, a yellow eyed cole tang and a purple tang. I have a 130g display tank. Should I try to target feed around the entrance of the cave or is the tono finding food somewhere. Like I said I haven't seen the tono eat for around two weeks, I would think that it wouldn't survive that long without food. Again any information would be great.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a pair of clowns, a lawnmower blenny, a yellow eyed cole tang and a purple tang. I have a 130g display tank. Should I try to target feed around the entrance of the cave or is the tono finding food somewhere. Like I said I haven't seen the tono eat for around two weeks, I would think that it wouldn't survive that long without food. Again any information would be great.
Usually with fairy and flasher wrasses, feeding into high water flow and lettit disperse gets the best feeding response.

While tangs are generally more focused on similar shaped fish, I have seen some take a particular dislike to wrasses.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When introducing several new wrasses to the display tank, should I introduce the more aggressive one or the less aggressive one first?

I have 2 wrasses in quarantine at the moment, still have several weeks to go. One is social fairy wrasse, the other is bluesided fairy wrasse. The social is starting show domination and chasing the bluesided to the corner. For now I put the social into a acclimation box in the quarantine tank, and both are swimming out.

So by the time of introducing them to display, I assume I should do it one by one, right? If so, which one should I do first, or does it matters?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When introducing several new wrasses to the display tank, should I introduce the more aggressive one or the less aggressive one first?

I have 2 wrasses in quarantine at the moment, still have several weeks to go. One is social fairy wrasse, the other is bluesided fairy wrasse. The social is starting show domination and chasing the bluesided to the corner. For now I put the social into a acclimation box in the quarantine tank, and both are swimming out.

So by the time of introducing them to display, I assume I should do it one by one, right? If so, which one should I do first, or does it matters?
Either add them simultaneously or less aggressive one in first.

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast @evolved I have lots of wrasse fairy and flashers, brief encounters here and there no persistent chasing. Introduced a Lineatus to the display tank with an acclimation box, couple of days no interest shown from any wrasse or any other fish, released the Lineatus(male) into the tank and watched still no issues, checked on them before lights out, all is peaceful. Morning comes blue LEDs only light on gave a light feeding so every one would show still all peaceful, ran a few errands about three hours later the Lineatus is panic stricken and hiding, I stand and watch to see who was causing this fear and its my Tamminckii wrasse seriously chasing and looks like he is hunting the Lineatus, how I could catch either one of these guy is beyond me because they are both very illusive. Might this subside, or do I need to try setting traps to catch one of these guys

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast @evolved I have lots of wrasse fairy and flashers, brief encounters here and there no persistent chasing. Introduced a Lineatus to the display tank with an acclimation box, couple of days no interest shown from any wrasse or any other fish, released the Lineatus(male) into the tank and watched still no issues, checked on them before lights out, all is peaceful. Morning comes blue LEDs only light on gave a light feeding so every one would show still all peaceful, ran a few errands about three hours later the Lineatus is panic stricken and hiding, I stand and watch to see who was causing this fear and its my Tamminckii wrasse seriously chasing and looks like he is hunting the Lineatus, how I could catch either one of these guy is beyond me because they are both very illusive. Might this subside, or do I need to try setting traps to catch one of these guys
It may subside, but temminkii can be pretty aggressive to other fairies. You could try turning out the lights and seeing if it settles down tomorrow. You could also place a mirror at one end of the tank for a few days and see if that distracts the temminkii.

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for such a quick response, didn't think about the mirror trick, I'll try that first. I have seen him chase briefly before like get out of my way, but not hot pursuit

primo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved @eatbreakfast , Currently looking to add a wrasse to my system (75g mixed reef with a yellow tang, pair of spotcinctus clowns, toby puffer, flame hawk and purple stripe pseudo) love the movement wrasses bring so looking for a good choice. i do have a side motive, recently found some red planaria in the tank. Would a H. melanurus help with that, have read some threads that say they do. thanks in advance.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved @eatbreakfast , Currently looking to add a wrasse to my system (75g mixed reef with a yellow tang, pair of spotcinctus clowns, toby puffer, flame hawk and purple stripe pseudo) love the movement wrasses bring so looking for a good choice. i do have a side motive, recently found some red planaria in the tank. Would a H. melanurus help with that, have read some threads that say they do. thanks in advance.
Melanurus can help with planeria, but usually cutting back on feeding is more helpful.

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Lineatus started defending himself, he and the Temminkii would be going at each other and the Yellow Flank would cruise over and break it up sending them both fleeing for cover. Peace(relatively speaking) is in the tank again. very interesting to observe and glad no parties were injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back