All but 3 fish died yesterday. I'm feeling defeated.

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these theories are really interesting. Guessing, I'd tend to agree. Just don't forget that new predator fish is also a variable... aggression or disease are still in play.
Yes, speculation for sure. And we may never know the true cause. But if we can find a few areas to improve our methods, systems, etc., then I think it is a step in the right direction. I know I learn a lot from the ideas others are throwing out there. As stated above, we (me anyway) are always learning something new.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these theories are really interesting. Guessing, I'd tend to agree. Just don't forget that new predator fish is also a variable... aggression or disease are still in play.
This exactly! Always be skeptical until you can prove that something has actually been the "cause". You may not always be able to but it's good to try.

Victor Noda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any possibility of cycling another tank or 5 gallon buckets of mixed salt reef water with Dr. Tims Ammonia and Some Microbacter 7, heater and some new live sand parallel to the one you already have? Not sure where you got your live rock but sometimes I heard that it could leach out impurities? TDS of your Supply water if you are not using RODI water?

Victor Noda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any possibility of cycling another tank or 5 gallon buckets of mixed salt reef water with Dr. Tims Ammonia and Some Microbacter 7, heater and some new live sand parallel to the one you already have? Not sure where you got your live rock but sometimes I heard that it could leach out impurities? TDS of your Supply water if you are not using RODI water?

OP
OP
P

Peter Jason

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
money is tight right now. I, honestly think I'm just going to get out of the hobby. I'm completely broken right now.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
money is tight right now. I, honestly think I'm just going to get out of the hobby. I'm completely broken right now.

No need to spend money right now. I had a tank wipe out last year and it was devastating. I was thinking of leaving the hobby as well.

I just let my tank run fishless this whole time. All the while I saved up some cash and actually downgraded to a smaller tank. Selling off my old equipment paid for the new stuff.

The point being you don't need to tear down the tank. Let the tank stabilize and wait it out. If you want to leave in a month or two, go for it. I think that will give you time to come up with a game plan.

In the mean time go do something you enjoy that is not related to reefing. Spend some time with your family. Watch your favorite show. Go on a hike. Smoke a bowl. Just blow off some steam and take care of yourself.

Last edited:

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It cost very little to just let it keep operating kind of on it's own for a while. That will give you a chance to get some space from all of this emotional turmoil. If you still feel like quitting then that's fine. At least that way you can be assured your making a decision, not a reaction. I wish you the best either way.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't give up. Give yourself time to grieve. It's a bump in the road. This isn't an easy hobby. There are losses sometimes.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money is that tight you should probably quit now and sell everything to recover a small % of your initial cost. Your tank is young and it will cost time and money to get it on track. Save the money for your family, bills or whatever other things in your life you need to support financially. Reefing is a hobby that requires some level of disposable income. It’s not a plug and play or set it and forget it easy hobby.

Thom24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very new also but what I Also believe is “one thing at a time”...arteig and reefer reefer hit the nail on the head with patience. I feel terrible for you and all your troubles but hang in there and take it one step at a time... my 2 cents is no more chemicals, let it recover. But like I said , I’m only 4 months in and have lots to learn.... Good luck!

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to spend money right now. I had a tank wipe out last year and it was devastating. I was thinking of leaving the hobby as well.

I just let my tank run fishless this whole time. All the while I saved up some cash and actually downgraded to a smaller tank. Selling off my old equipment paid for the new stuff.

The point being you don't need to tear down the tank. Let the tank stabilize and wait it out. If you want to leave in a month or two, go for it. I think that will give you time to come up with a game plan.

In the mean time go do something you enjoy that is not related to reefing. Spend some time with your family. Watch your favorite show. Go on a hike. Smoke a bowl. Just blow off some steam and take care of yourself.
Smoke a bowl? [emoji848]

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I got defeated by a wipeout from velvet and I'm done after a little over a year. Sold all the equipment. Tank, stand and sump are left. I still like to lurk on here, though. Good luck with your decision.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smoke a bowl? [emoji848]

Hey, we don’t all live in puritanical Indiana.......

I too say “quit now”. If this hiccup is that much of a financial burden, sustainability in this hobby isn’t likely

Edit: Man. You didn’t sell that stuff yet? I felt like it was a solid deal.....

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weve all been there. when my 125 fowlr went up, i had a temp crash while i was at work, that took out some clown, flame angel, and hawkfish. i recovered, all other guys seemed fine. I then started to get my tangs ready to go in etc. Lost a atlantic blue, blue hippo, kole eye ( number 2 ugh) in a weeks time. I then lost a scribbled rabbit fish, another flame angel, and a few other fish in that tank. I left the rest alone, and now am upgrading to a 220, but the tank stabilized and i kept trucking. Theres some real heartache in this hobby, but the rewards are stupendous as well.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I got defeated by a wipeout from velvet and I'm done after a little over a year. Sold all the equipment. Tank, stand and sump are left. I still like to lurk on here, though. Good luck with your decision.

I had a similar experience with velvet. Ive been running fishless for over 6 months now. Really tough to come back from a total tank wipe out. Luckily I still have my corals which is keeping me in the hobby.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience with velvet. Ive been running fishless for over 6 months now. Really tough to come back from a total tank wipe out. Luckily I still have my corals which is keeping me in the hobby.
Ouch, sorry to hear about your troubles as well. Glad you've kept your head up.

Pop back in OP. Tell us you've dusted yourself off and are gonna stick it out!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am thinking of putting one or two fish in my new tank...... fish are just a pain!

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of putting one or two fish in my new tank...... fish are just a pain!

I am going to add 4 fish to my 30g but it wont be for 6 months to a year. Easier to add more inverts and let the tank stabilize before I start QTing my fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back