OP
franklinsreef

franklinsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what to tell you, but 1.012 is the point where flukes begin to drop off. If you are JUST there, it may take a couple of days to see an improvement (if it is flukes). There is also an issue with severe flukes, that when you treat for them, the flukes drop off, but leave open sores on the fish's skin and gills. This can cause anemia. In severe cases, the fish can die from that. There is also a slight risk of secondary bacterial infection from where the flukes had attached to the fish, but it is too soon to see that.

Jay
Thanks for replying, I guess I’m just in ‘wait and see’ mode now. One last question… can I use anything anti-bacterial during hypo?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This product is what I’m thinking.Nt labs marine anti-bacterial

I'm not familiar with that product, so I did some searching. It apparently contains:

Acriflavine: 26.7mg / 100ml.
Aminoacridine HCI: 26.7mg / 100ml.
Formaldehyde: 754mg / 100ml.

As such, it seems to be a copy of Ruby Reef Rally Pro here in the US. That product is more of a mild antimicrobial than a true antibiotic.

I prefer not to use antibiotics unless there is a clear indication of a secondary infection, but from what I can tell, this product would be safe to use during hypo. You might want to check with NT Labs, just to confirm.

Jay

OP
OP
franklinsreef

franklinsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with that product, so I did some searching. It apparently contains:

Acriflavine: 26.7mg / 100ml.
Aminoacridine HCI: 26.7mg / 100ml.
Formaldehyde: 754mg / 100ml.

As such, it seems to be a copy of Ruby Reef Rally Pro here in the US. That product is more of a mild antimicrobial than a true antibiotic.

I prefer not to use antibiotics unless there is a clear indication of a secondary infection, but from what I can tell, this product would be safe to use during hypo. You might want to check with NT Labs, just to confirm.

Jay
We lost the Tomini.
Am devastated, and don’t understand how! Until the cloudy eyes I noticed yesterday, he was doing fine. This morning I noticed he seemed like he had sores around his mouth.
I tried to look at him after he had passed to see if there was anything of note, he seemed to have a few white ‘patches’ on him, and he looked a little red at the base of his fins. It didn’t occur to me to take a photo, although can see now that might have been useful.
I’m truly gutted! I don’t even know what to do now…

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We lost the Tomini.
Am devastated, and don’t understand how! Until the cloudy eyes I noticed yesterday, he was doing fine. This morning I noticed he seemed like he had sores around his mouth.
I tried to look at him after he had passed to see if there was anything of note, he seemed to have a few white ‘patches’ on him, and he looked a little red at the base of his fins. It didn’t occur to me to take a photo, although can see now that might have been useful.
I’m truly gutted! I don’t even know what to do now…
Sorry to hear. Again, if it was a severe fluke infection, fish sometimes don’t recover even after they are treated.
How do the other fish look?
Jay

OP
OP
franklinsreef

franklinsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Again, if it was a severe fluke infection, fish sometimes don’t recover even after they are treated.
How do the other fish look?
Jay
They are both hiding. The wrasse has been out of the sand a couple of times, stays above his ‘ sand pit’ and buries himself again within a few mins. He ‘looks’ ok. The regal is hiding under his rock. Neither came out when I fed. Really starting to get concerned now.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both hiding. The wrasse has been out of the sand a couple of times, stays above his ‘ sand pit’ and buries himself again within a few mins. He ‘looks’ ok. The regal is hiding under his rock. Neither came out when I fed. Really starting to get concerned now.

Reading back through this thread - a clear video would help with diagnosis. Even then, visual diagnosis isn't always possible.

I still think that hyposalinity would be an option, but there is a risk to changing treatments up midstream....

Jay

OP
OP
franklinsreef

franklinsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading back through this thread - a clear video would help with diagnosis. Even then, visual diagnosis isn't always possible.

I still think that hyposalinity would be an option, but there is a risk to changing treatments up midstream....

Jay
Hi,
I am running hyposalinity, reached 1.009 yesterday morning. ( the tomini passed yesterday night)
Since last post I have managed to get the wrasse to eat, but I had to drop the food directly above him, he wouldn’t move away from his sand tub. He looks perfectly fine, nothing of note visually. The Regal has still not ventured out yet, so I’ve not had chance to look at him. I can see him moving though. I’m aware it’s impossible for you to help without actually seeing the fish, if I can get any kind of footage I will. Thank you for trying to assist.

OP
OP
franklinsreef

franklinsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to update, The regal tang passed yesterday morning. It’s been a really difficult few days. We saw he was breathing really rapidly and struggling to stay up under his rock, he was just sinking to the bottom. He was like this for 2 days, felt pretty helpless, we tried the nt labs anti bacterial hoping it would perform some sort of miracle, obviously it didn’t! Wrasse is doing ok, he wasn’t eating for a couple of days, but today he has. we’ve moved him to another qt ( Params the same) just to get him in clean water. I’m now not sure what to do going forward, as I don’t know what I’m dealing with. Both tangs went pretty quickly…everything seemed to point to flukes, but 2 treatments/ FW dip and hypo didn’t give any relief. I think my choices are..
1: slowly increase salinity and then copper treat
2: continue with hypo to deal with flukes/ ich but then there’s the risk that it ‘might’ have been velvet?
This is so difficult!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. If you can get Coppersafe, you can run that during hypo, so you won't lose any time getting the tank back up in salinity.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back