All fish in tank with laboured breathing

Fishybusiness412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Yesterday I did a 50 water change and after since all my fish now have laboured breathing. Tried stress Guard, over night, no changes.

Checked all parameters, are all ok. The only thing I can think of is potentially shock. I switched my method, newbie mistake when putting new water in I usually take my time, but the water went in a lot faster this time. 32gallon tank

Orchid dotty
2 snowflake clowns
Bangai cardinal
Yellow high fin goby
Purple firefish who is perched on the sand over night. He's usually a lot more active.

Should I attempt to do another wc? Will that take away all the good bacteria? Please help! I don't want them to all die :(

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad

First, can you list the parameters of the tank (I know you said ok, but numbers help). Very helpful if you had any numbers from before and after the water change (e.g. ammonia, salinity, temperature, etc.)
Second, did you match the salinity and temperature of the WC water? When you said you switched your method, can you detail what you did?
Third, do you have access to an airstone or can you aim your powerheads at the surface to increase oxygenation?
Fourth, a water change will not affect the "good bacteria" in the tank.
Fifth, what is the source of your water?
Sixth, how much stress guard did you add to your water (i.e. capfuls)?
Seventh, how old is the tank?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fishybusiness412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.8 ph
0 nitrite
0 nitrate

I use api kit for ammonia pic below

That is what I think could be thr problem, I was trying to lower the temp, and salinity by having it lower in the new water so it wasn't matching. 0.27 to 0.24 temp from 26 to 24.

Unfortunately it's National holiday so I can't get a stone. I already have had my filter wsterfalling all night.

Tap water with alpha

I've had the tank for 6 months now

15936284480779090916918782803566.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain what " Tap water with alpha" means?

I'm guessing shock from both the temperature and salinity change (~4 F difference in incoming water change in salinity- (the salinity change is unlikely to cause osmotic shock if accurate). Given that these numbers may not be accurate, the actual difference could be larger. There is also the possibility that the pH was responsible or contributed to the shock.

Do you have any power heads in the tank beyond the filter? Do you have any access to prime by any chance? How old is your API test kit?

OP
OP
F

Fishybusiness412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I don't have ro water. Per our lfs, we use aquavitro alpha and use that to dechlorinate tap water at home.

Unfortunately no extra power head right now either. I have been using thr same kit for thr past 6 months

I completely understand what a stupid thing I've done now and shouldn't have...

Just wondering how I can fix the problem now before it's too late

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do you have air pump,can also in em take fish net and quickly swish at top to agitate get more oxygen in water

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to be hard on yourself! We've all been there- you live and you learn :)

My current differential would be either low oxygen in the tank is causing the fish to rapidly breath, release of H2S, or shock secondary to either the temperature change, pH (uknown) or salinity (if the measurement isn't accurate).

Unfortunately, my standard advice if it were low oxygen (such as from a bacterial bloom after you stir up organics with your large WC) would be to increase aeration as much as you can with a powerhead, skimmer, or airstone, add prime prophylactically in case it's ammonia toxicity (wouldn't trust the API ammonia to be honest), replace fresh carbon, and perform a large WC if the water is already warmed and has been circulating enough time to match your tank's pH. Since you don't have these options open to you, I suggest manual oxygenation- you can simply waterfall your water with a cup through the air or use a net or another flat paddled item to move your water around and break the surface as much as you can.

OP
OP
F

Fishybusiness412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I just making a new batch of water atm.

I will try to manually air rate with a cup a net. How long should I be doing this for?

So would it be safe for me to do another large wc considering I've already done one yesterday?

I won't forgive myself if anything happens to my kids!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long as you have matched the parameters of the incoming water with the original water (salt is dissolved fully, pH stabilized, temperature and salinity match), it will not harm anything.... HOWEVER, given that you don't have access to a power head to effectively mix/aerate the new saltwater (or enough time to reach equilibrium), I worry about the possibility of compounding the issue with water that has a drastically different pH or where there are undisolved bits of salt. Just make sure this isn't the case :)

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u have a skimmer?
If so make sure its switched on after your water change (sometimes i forget) this will help oxygenate and also +1 on creating surface movement this might just be the problem, i have seen it before.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing shock from both the temperature and salinity change (~4 F difference in incoming water change in salinity- (the salinity change is unlikely to cause osmotic shock if accurate). Given that these numbers may not be accurate, the actual difference could be larger. There is also the possibility that the pH was responsible or contributed to the shock.
This ^^^ can be deadly to fish. Usually see if the effects are severe within 3-4 days.

OP
OP
F

Fishybusiness412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ^^^ can be deadly to fish. Usually see if the effects are severe within 3-4 days.

This is a devastating lesson. Does this mean that they are likely in distress for the next couple of days? What can I do at this point to make it up to their little lives?

Here's a video of the firefish struggling

OP
OP
F

Fishybusiness412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u have a skimmer?
If so make sure its switched on after your water change (sometimes i forget) this will help oxygenate and also +1 on creating surface movement this might just be the problem, i have seen it before.

I have just done a wc with lower levels of water for more movement and skimmer is on as well

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
swish with that net ,every 15-20 min for a min, get as much oxygen in as poss,just back and forth make bubbles

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations! Glad to hear it! Enjoy your fish friends again!

By the way, once you get the chance, you might look into grabbing a battery backup air stone. They can be found pretty inexpensively and they come in handy when you least expect it!

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For right now make sure ur skimmer is on and putting as many bubbles into the water as possible ensure there’s a fan blowing over ur tank and powerheads are near the surface u need oxygen in there

Edit: I see you got them okay again!!!! great!!!

OP
OP
F

Fishybusiness412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations! Glad to hear it! Enjoy your fish friends again!

By the way, once you get the chance, you might look into grabbing a battery backup air stone. They can be found pretty inexpensively and they come in handy when you least expect it!

That's a good idea! Will definitely get one!

OP
OP
F

Fishybusiness412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For right now make sure ur skimmer is on and putting as many bubbles into the water as possible ensure there’s a fan blowing over ur tank and powerheads are near the surface u need oxygen in there

Edit: I see you got them okay again!!!! great!!!

Thank you for the support regardless!!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back