All my fish breathing fast.

Jasc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i recently did 45 percent water change on my tank {Fluval Evo 13.5} After they began breathing heavily. My paramters are 0 AMMONIA 0 nitrite and 5 Nitrates. They are acting normal i fed them and they ate. Please Help

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you keep doing such large water changes if this happened to you before?

What fish are in the tank? Any inverts or coral? Not really sure whats going on. Do you have a sandbed and are you disturbing it during the water change? Matching salinity and temp? Is the water cloudy? Are the fish at the top of the tank or bottom? A picture of the tank may be helpful as well.

OP
OP
Jasc

Jasc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you keep doing such large water changes if this happened to you before?

What fish are in the tank? Any inverts or coral? Not really sure whats going on. Do you have a sandbed and are you disturbing it during the water change? Matching salinity and temp? Is the water cloudy? Are the fish at the top of the tank or bottom? A picture of the tank may be helpful as well.
No inverts. I have a small colony of gsp corals. I have 1 clownfish, Citron goby, Royal gramma. Yes i did disturb the sand bed since ive been battling dinos. Salt is 1.025, Temp is 78. No water is not cloudy fish are at middle of the tank acting normal.

OP
OP
Jasc

Jasc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A big water change on a little tank, how are you measuring salinity and temperature? Are you mixing your own salt?
Im measuring salt on a hydrometer and temperature on thermometer. Yes i mixed it wit reef crystals.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you normally vacuum the sand during water changes or is it usually left undisturbed? Do you always perform such large water changes? Do you have a powerhead/adequate flow and O2 exchange? Is the GSP open? Can you post a picture of the tank?

OP
OP
Jasc

Jasc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you normally vacuum the sand during water changes or is it usually left undisturbed? Do you always perform such large water changes? Do you have a powerhead/adequate flow and O2 exchange? Is the GSP open? Can you post a picture of the tank?
No i usually don't vacuum i only do it every 1 month. No i usually only perform 15- 20 percent. Yes i have a power head. No GSP is not open since i moved it to a other rock. I cant since i am on PC

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't normally mess with the sandbed and then go and disturb it, you can potentially release hydrogen sulfide. There is a bit of technique needed when vacuuming the sandbed in these cases. You only do a small portion at a time, not the entire tank and you need to go real slow to make sure any disturbed nasties are sucked up, not spread around the tank. Not sure if this is your issue or not though.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume there were no recent additions and the heavy breathing began immediately after the water change?

OP
OP
Jasc

Jasc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't normally mess with the sandbed and then go and disturb it, you can potentially release hydrogen sulfide. There is a bit of technique needed when vacuuming the sandbed in these cases. You only do a small portion at a time, not the entire tank and you need to go real slow to make sure any disturbed nasties are sucked up, not spread around the tank. Not sure if this is your issue or not though.
They stopped breathing that fast good signs? Or i may think they stopped breathing fast they arent moving they mouth as much now.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you just freaked them out. Keep an eye on them, but absent any other symptoms, it sounds like they may be fine now.

We can tell if they are breathing fast if you could post a short video sometime.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the other posters in the future just perform smaller water changes 10% is fine and be careful with disturbing a deep sand bed you can release methane and hydrogen sulfide into the water which will stress everybody out

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back