OP
OP
F

folittle88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding ammonia and bacteria is much safer in a fishless cycle. It is a fine way to get started.

IIRC, Prime will throw off your ammonia readings (high). So I don't think your ammonia is that high; the fish would likely be in distress at 8.
That makes since

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding ammonia and bacteria is much safer in a fishless cycle. It is a fine way to get started.

IIRC, Prime will throw off your ammonia readings (high). So I don't think your ammonia is that high; the fish would likely be in distress at 8.
Prime, besides being totally useless for lowering ammonia concentration, interferes with ammonia test kits by causing the test to indicate less ammonia than there is. The ammonia could be higher than 8 ppm.

OP
OP
F

folittle88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime, besides being totally useless for lowering ammonia concentration, interferes with ammonia test kits by causing the test to indicate less ammonia than there is. The ammonia could be higher than 8 ppm.
Oh dang could be much higher. Sheesh

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post the tank pic, let's see the animals near dying (what true elevated ammonia causes)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Symptomless ammonia noncontrol is the #1 go to for old cycling science

Anything a non digital test kit says is always to be believed no matter what, second tenet.

Also post a pic of a new ammonia reading taken now, let's see the actual color. I bet i find the same color from another misread thread.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The day might come, one day six years from now, where symptoms match the api / Red Sea test kits, just not from any thread anyone here can find from the past. That’s key in my opinion, that this is not a seneye test read panic.

*I do believe there are instances of water bacteria not working after ten days in a stocked, fed and running and perfectly normal looking reef tank it’s just that none of us can determine that off posts like this one here, or others like it:

Who here believes that a nine month reef, fully stocked, highly sensitive starfish in tow, no losses, plants in the display, chock full of rocks cured with coralline was truly at 8ppm? Answer: everyone does :) if a test kit says it, we agree without any confirmation steps requested whatsoever.

Guess how many symptomless 8ppm ammonia alter threads there are: hundreds

Guess how many seneye owners post ammonia noncontrol in a reef tank after day ten? None

That means something.

Last edited:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post the tank pic, let's see the animals near dying (what true elevated ammonia causes)
From the link you posted;

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some facts;

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr Tim's ammonia often results in higher than anticipated levels and Brightwell bacteria isn't very fast. Just to state this clearly, neither are meant for cycling with fish.
I'd do this...
go to your local petco or lfs and get a bacteria like fritz turbo start or IO Bio Spira (most petco have it)
Those two bacterial products are fast and reliable nitrifiers.

OP
OP
F

folittle88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anything a non digital test kit says is always to be believed no matter what, second tenet.

Also post a pic of a new ammonia reading taken now, let's see the actual color. I bet i find the same color from another misread thread.
So here's today's readings. Did 75% water change Wednesday and added bacteria.

Attachments

• 20240301_123550.jpg
    20240301_123550.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 24

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the ammonia portion is the only part of that pic worth noting, and, that's passing for API.

if your vial was darker green, I would still assess the very same.

the color of an api vial has no bearing on cycle calls in my opinion, owing to their issues we can search out. even today in the gen forum was a new completely false api misread thread.

OP
OP
F

folittle88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've fixed it! Happy reefing. Presence of nitrite confirmed conversion (also messes with nitrate test).
Doing my happy feet dance. Now should I wait it out a few more days/week before adding anything?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
disease forum

put this much energy into memorizing everything Jay has to say/no joke the loss rates are bad for skipped preps. yours have already been skipped it's something to consider before you invest lots of $

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing my happy feet dance. Now should I wait it out a few more days/week before adding anything?
Looks OK to me. You need to hunt out the healthiest (preferably quarantined) livestock possible. I suffered a catastrophic fish loss 20 years ago to disease, and my wife had the same in her tank last year. Its not a nice feeling and doubt the fish were very impressed.

OP
OP
F

folittle88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks OK to me. You need to hunt out the healthiest (preferably quarantined) livestock possible. I suffered a catastrophic fish loss 20 years ago to disease, and my wife had the same in her tank last year. Its not a nice feeling and doubt the fish were very impressed.
Man I don't want to even imagine. And thanks for feedback

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will stand corrected then, thanks Dan.

OP
OP
F

folittle88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've fixed it! Happy reefing. Presence of nitrite confirmed conversion (also messes with nitrate test).
Gm. So question. Just checked parameters and ph is now 7.8, ammonia 0, Nitrite 5.0ppm and nitrate 160 ppm. All still same. Should I water change again or just leave it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back