Ammonia THROUGH THE ROOF

folittle88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello what about if my Ammonia ppm has been 8.0 since start of cycle with Nitrite&Nitrate-0 for days 1-5, then Day 6 Ammonia remains 8.0 and nitrites 0.5ppm and Nitrate-20 ppm? Please help. Fish in cycle. Have 3 clownfish and they have been swimming normal, eating normal, showing no effects. 150g 6ft long tank

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello what about if my Ammonia ppm has been 8.0 since start of cycle with Nitrite&Nitrate-0 for days 1-5, then Day 6 Ammonia remains 8.0 and nitrites 0.5ppm and Nitrate-20 ppm? Please help. Fish in cycle. Have 3 clownfish and they have been swimming normal, eating normal, showing no effects. 150g 6ft long tank
Is this a copy and paste from your other post on Monday? What test kit? You got a pic of the tank?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

How did you cycle the tank? Live rock, bottle-bac, etc.?

Nitrate reading 20 is probably due to the presence of nitrite - nitrite interferes with nitrate test kits and causes absurdly high readings.

As mentioned, info about what test kits you're using would helpful.

OP
OP
F

folittle88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a copy and paste from your other post on Monday? What test kit? You got a pic of the tank?
Yes, a copy bc someone suggested that I start a new thread vs placing it on someone else's thread. 150 g.

Attachments

• 20240228_103729.jpg
    20240228_103729.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 73

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a copy bc someone suggested that I start a new thread vs placing it on someone else's thread. 150 g.
Well, I'm currently eating my hat. I thought you were someone messing around with us.

How old is the tank setup altogether wet, just 9 or 10 days?
Did you add any ammonia, or just fish food?
How about a bacterial product? Any of that?

There's very little to no chance you've added that much ammonia through normal feeding, to be honest, with dry rock and dry sand.

Edit - "Prime" water conditioner, any of that?
and copper, any of that?

OP
OP
F

folittle88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

How did you cycle the tank? Live rock, bottle-bac, etc.?

Nitrate reading 20 is probably due to the presence of nitrite - nitrite interferes with nitrate test kits and causes absurdly high readings.

As mentioned, info about what test kits you're using would helpful.
Fish in cycle (3 very tiny clowns). Used Dr. Tims ammonia and bright wells bac. From talking to another guy he said it's probably ammonia overdose using dr.t ammonia. I honestly think I just read 4 drops per gallons and I went from there just dropping in ammonia.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish in cycle (3 very tiny clowns). Used Dr. Tims ammonia and bright wells bac. From talking to another guy he said it's probably ammonia overdose using dr.t ammonia. I honestly think I just read 4 drops per gallons and I went from there just dropping in ammonia.
If you're doing fish in cycle do not add ammonia
The fish are generating ammonia.
You need to do a large water change to bring the ammonia down (like 90% water change) - then add a bottle of fritz turbo start or instant ocean bio-spira

OP
OP
F

folittle88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're doing fish in cycle do not add ammonia
The fish are generating ammonia.
You need to do a large water change to bring the ammonia down (like 90% water change) - then add a bottle of fritz turbo start or instant ocean bio-spira
Ok will do it today

OP
OP
F

folittle88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm currently eating my hat. I thought you were someone messing around with us.

How old is the tank setup altogether wet, just 9 or 10 days?
Did you add any ammonia, or just fish food?
How about a bacterial product? Any of that?

There's very little to no chance you've added that much ammonia through normal feeding, to be honest, with dry rock and dry sand.

Edit - "Prime" water conditioner, any of that?
and copper, any of Thai just Sry

OP
OP
F

folittle88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's Ben running now approximately 10 days. I used dr.tims amm. And brightwell nitr.bac. I did add some prime as well. I am now aware that I super overdosed the ammonia looking at the directions of 4 drops per gallon. I didn't continue reading the do not exceed 2 ppm and here we are now

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's Ben running now approximately 10 days. I used dr.tims amm. And brightwell nitr.bac. I did add some prime as well. I am now aware that I super overdosed the ammonia looking at the directions of 4 drops per gallon. I didn't continue reading the do not exceed 2 ppm and here we are now
Personally I'm glad you posted. Crystal clear water, fish acting normally, 10 days after bottle bac, some folk would have written it off as an API test failure. Now you've got to take action. Happy reefing.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding ammonia and bacteria is much safer in a fishless cycle. It is a fine way to get started.

IIRC, Prime will throw off your ammonia readings (high). So I don't think your ammonia is that high; the fish would likely be in distress at 8.

OP
OP
F

folittle88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'm glad you posted. Crystal clear water, fish acting normally, 10 days after bottle bac, some folk would have written it off as an API test failure. Now you've got to take action. Happy reefing.
True

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back