Day 8 of fishless cycle and ammonia , nitrates and nitrites are through the roof what do I do

REEF91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on day 8 of dr Tim’s cycle I tested on day 6 and noticed my ammonia went below 2ppm so I added some ammonia brining it back up to 2ppm as instructed now day 8 my nitrates are at 100 ppm maybe more my nitrites are at 5.0ppm maybe more and my ammonia keeps diving below 2ppm fast after adding ammonia within 24 hours of need adding and testing again. Do I do a 50 percent water change to get rid of the high nitrates and nitrites or is this normal during cycle do o keep adding ammonia ? Not sure what to do I feel like I should start over and just do a cycle with fish

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on day 8 of dr Tim’s cycle I tested on day 6 and noticed my ammonia went below 2ppm so I added some ammonia brining it back up to 2ppm as instructed now day 8 my nitrates are at 100 ppm maybe more my nitrites are at 5.0ppm maybe more and my ammonia keeps diving below 2ppm fast after adding ammonia within 24 hours of need adding and testing again. Do I do a 50 percent water change to get rid of the high nitrates and nitrites or is this normal during cycle do o keep adding ammonia ? Not sure what to do I feel like I should start over and just do a cycle with fish
Don’t add any more ammonia. The cycle is working. The nitrate is really not that high, it’ll be the nitrite interfering with the nitrate test. Allow the ammonia to get low, it’s considered cycled these days at that stage, or at least safe for fish.

OP
OP
R

REEF91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t add any more ammonia. The cycle is working. The nitrate is really not that high, it’ll be the nitrite interfering with the nitrate test. Allow the ammonia to get low, it’s considered cycled these days at that stage, or at least safe for fish.
Thanks should I let ammonia get to 0 then do a a partial water change or just leave everything alone

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks should I let ammonia get to 0 then do a a partial water change or just leave everything alone
You got a tank picture? The actual amount of nitrate in ppm is the amount of ammonia you have added (in parts per million) multiplied by 3.6ish. Depending on if it’s a total dry rock or a partial live rock / bottle bacteria hybrid, you could do a water change to get to your target nitrate level (but I don’t). I think the waterchange thing is a hangover from when folks added a shrimp, that rotted.

OP
OP
R

REEF91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a tank picture? The actual amount of nitrate in ppm is the amount of ammonia you have added (in parts per million) multiplied by 3.6ish. Depending on if it’s a total dry rock or a partial live rock / bottle bacteria hybrid, you could do a water change to get to your target nitrate level (but I don’t). I think the waterchange thing is a hangover from when folks added a shrimp, that rotted.

Attachments

• IMG_1145.jpeg
    IMG_1145.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1144.jpeg
    IMG_1144.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 88
OP
OP
R

REEF91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 125 gallon sent you some pics and my test readings next to there ppm levels

Yooper Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t add anymore ammonia. Keep testing ammonia and nitrite each day until it’s gone. Then you can perform a test by adding ammonia waiting one hour and testing ammonia level. Then testing ammonia again the next day. It should be zero the next day. Once your reading zero for both ammonia and nitrite your cycled and can add a fish

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry but this is not an emergency.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t add anymore ammonia. Keep testing ammonia and nitrite each day until it’s gone. Then you can perform a test by adding ammonia waiting one hour and testing ammonia level. Then testing ammonia again the next day. It should be zero the next day. Once your reading zero for both ammonia and nitrite your cycled and can add a fish
*Nitrite is irrelevant in saltwater tanks. Once your tank can process 2ppm ammonia in 24 hours, it's safe to start slowly adding fish.

OP
OP
R

REEF91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t dr Tim’s bottle of bacteria and I used carobs sea dry rock I cured it for 8 weeks before putting it in the tank for cycle

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to all this so I’ve been fed a lot of false information throughout this process
I'm sorry. Sounds like you're on the right track now. This is a great place to ask questions, and at the top of each sub-forum, there are threads pinned at the top with lots of good information. (Not that there's not good info on the rest of the site, but those are good reference materials).

Welcome to the hobby!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a good forum to explore. The sticky threads at the top are very helpful.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back