All for reef and Sulfur Denitrator?

MuscleBobBuffPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading about how well Denitrators eliminate Nitrates in our aquariums, I very excitedly decided to purchase one for my tanks future needs as I anticipate I’m one of those “heavy in - heavy out” kind of guys.

Pretty early on I also was set on using All for reef for it’s ease of use and convenience.

After further reading and learning that denitrators have a thing for reducing alkalinity, I’m worried now that I’ll just be burning through my All for reef just to keep my alkalinity stable.

Any insight on what I could possibly expect if I did decide to use a denitrator and All for reef? Should I just put the denitrator up in the attic and wait for my future FOWLR tank haha?

I have also considered using Bacto-Balance (carbon dosing from Tropic Marin) - maybe that’s the better option for nitrate control in the tank?

@Randy Holmes-Farley I’d love your input.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The denitrator complicates the dosing, and I think you'll need to monitor both calcium and alkalinity, and dose alkalinity with an alk supplement beyond the All For Reef used to maintain calcium.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%

Back