All-For-Reef - Tube Clogging

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if you have a quality doser. Back siphon simply isn't possible.
Yes a quality doser helps, but even the highest quality doser will experience wear and tear in/on the dosing line around the dosing head. This wear and tear leads to cracks in the line that could lead to siphon one way or the other.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@homer1475 WOuld you say I do need Non-return valve? Some say its risky without.. but yeah, i am not sure where to place it
I would not put a check valve on the dosing line, that could even create undue stress on the dosing pump. The conversation about back siphon is way of the rails IMO. Don't put your dosing tube underwater in the sump and problem solved. If the fluid does go backwards (unlikely) it will just take air with it. Keep it simple, wipe the build up off the tip of the tube every few days or once a week and you should be good to go.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a quality doser helps, but even the highest quality doser will experience wear and tear in/on the dosing line around the dosing head. This wear and tear leads to cracks in the line that could lead to siphon one way or the other.
Well if the tube cracks, which is unlikely, it will such air and break siphon

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@homer1475 WOuld you say I do need Non-return valve? Some say its risky without.. but yeah, i am not sure where to place it
Never in 20+ years of reefing have I ever used a check valve on a dosing line. Really don't see a need for it? If the line cracks, it's only going to suck air. Assuming of course your dosing line is above water?

FWIW....

A dosing line should never be submerged.

OP
OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never in 20+ years of reefing have I ever used a check valve on a dosing line. Really don't see a need for it? If the line cracks, it's only going to suck air. Assuming of course your dosing line is above water?

FWIW....

A dosing line should never be submerged.
ofcourse it is above water :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back