All my fish died within 1 week

Yrevanth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a new issue here. I have been in the hobby for a little over 7 years now, but have not faced a situation like this.

i had the following fish:
1) Powder Brown Tang
2) Flame Angel
3) 2 bartletts anthias
4) 3 lyre tail anthias
5) 2 small clowns

my tank is a red sea reefer 525 XL (around 110 gal total water after removing rock and sand). Tank parameters are as follows and have been steady and consistent over the last 2 months, which i have been measuring every single day.

Cal-480
Mag-1260
alk-9.5
No3- undetectable
po4- undetectable
ammonia- undetectable

The tank was setup in the beginning of july. so it is a little over 3.5 months old. Cycle was done by 28 days after, so around beginning of august, after which i started slowly adding 1 or 2 fish at a time per week. Everything seemed to be fine till last week, when all of a sudden one of the lyretail anthias started swimming wonky and lost appetite and died the next day, followed by another one of the anthias the next day. At this rate, i was losing on average 1 fish a day! With no discernable issues other than the fish swimming weirdly and stops eating. I know how ich looks like, as i had an attack of that a couple of years ago, but this time around it was completely weird.

Now i only have 3 fish are left in my system, of which the clown fish looks like it has ich on its body and is starting to swim erratically and i think he may not make it.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Now i also have a bunch of SPS in my tank (I know!, but the reason i have sps there is because my old tank was crashing hard with an alk swing and i had to put all my pieces in my newly setup tank. Thankfully i have not lost any pieces so far!) Please help!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet.
I hate (or should I say "dislike") to say it but that's how important a 8 week quarantine period is.
Your other fish most likely will face the same fate.
It's a hobbyist nightmare.
Sorry Bro!

OP
OP
Y

Yrevanth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah.. i did not follow proper QT... i hate myself for that.. but i have learned a valuable lesson and i already set up a 40 gal QT tank and am going to QT all my future fish.

Can some1 recommend a proper QT protocol? Do i treat with Paragard and Copper during the entire QT period? what would you guys recommedn?

OP
OP
Y

Yrevanth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is velvet, how long do i run the system without fish in it? i really cant treat it with copper because of my inverts and sps

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah.. i did not follow proper QT... i hate myself for that.. but i have learned a valuable lesson and i already set up a 40 gal QT tank and am going to QT all my future fish.

Can some1 recommend a proper QT protocol? Do i treat with Paragard and Copper during the entire QT period? what would you guys recommedn?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-dos-and-don’ts-of-quarantine.203898/

and a lot more here............
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree.. that’s the calling card if velvet. It’s everywhere right now...

Like.............. everywhere in the OP's tank or through out the hobby?
I must say many hobbyist are getting out now days due to their own failure of not doing the quarantine thingie.
20 years ago, well even 10 years ago nobody really cared about a proper quarantine, only QT was when you thought the fish was sick but you just wanted that fish and took the risk running it through QT to tread it and the hopes on a better fish.
You would think there is a spell going on with the fish going around with many deceases now days.
I for one sold my QT as in that case I can't buy new fish anymore :rolleyes:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like.............. everywhere in the OP's tank or through out the hobby?
I must say many hobbyist are getting out now days due to their own failure of not doing the quarantine thingie.
20 years ago, well even 10 years ago nobody really cared about a proper quarantine, only QT was when you thought the fish was sick but you just wanted that fish and took the risk running it through QT to tread it and the hopes on a better fish.
You would think there is a spell going on with the fish going around with many deceases now days.
I for one sold my QT as in that case I can't buy new fish anymore :rolleyes:
I’m sure it’s a mix of factors, but there are exponentially more cases these days, it seems. Velvet wasn’t that common even 5-10 years ago relative to ich. Now it’s every bit as common, IME

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure it’s a mix of factors, but there are exponentially more cases these days, it seems. Velvet wasn’t that common even 5-10 years ago relative to ich. Now it’s every bit as common, IME

I'm glad you guys are on top of this.
and............... CONGRATS on your RSL promotion :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back