All my fish keep dying.. help!

imanivdhorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 60l saltwater aquarium with one shrimp, two snails and two clownfish. In the past, I had two other clownfish but they died after a month of adding them to the tank. When I first got them I noticed white spots on their fins. I didn’t know what ich was, so I ignored it, thinking it wasn’t harmful. The first one died after 3,5 weeks. He became thin, did not want to eat and he started losing his color. Right before the first one died the second one got very sick and died the day after. I waited a month before adding any new life stock to the tank, hoping that if there was a parasite it would die. One month later and I could finally add my new clownfish. It was amazing. They looked super healthy, ate well and they hosted their anemone overnight. Everything seemed right until this morning.. The smaller fish looked very pale and let himself float through the aquarium. He also lost a lot of color and a white fungus is growing around his mouth. I don’t know what to do at this point.. how do I get rid of it? I will add a few photo’s of my first clownfish right before it died because it didn’t look like ich. I suspect that there is a different sickness in the tank which I am not aware of, since i’m very new to the hobby.

0A05DAEE-4EB0-4073-8DF5-4523895DAF1E.png 6D67DEBE-D9C7-4161-A9C8-5224CD6378E7.jpeg F992059A-75E7-44C2-8904-962266A0B8F5.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry to hear of your issues. It is tough to say afterwards, but it is likely that your first fish died from marine ich. The clownfish in the picture likely has Brooklynella, a different protozoan disease.

The best treatment for that is formalin, but I think you will have difficulty getting that in Europe. Do you have a good fish store you could ask regarding what brooklynella medication they would suggest?

We have a fish disease forum here, the following is a link to how to post problems there:

Jay

OP
OP
imanivdhorn

imanivdhorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry to hear of your issues. It is tough to say afterwards, but it is likely that your first fish died from marine ich. The clownfish in the picture likely has Brooklynella, a different protozoan disease.

The best treatment for that is formalin, but I think you will have difficulty getting that in Europe. Do you have a good fish store you could ask regarding what brooklynella medication they would suggest?

We have a fish disease forum here, the following is a link to how to post problems there:

Jay
Thank you for responding! Sadly my fish died this morning. I have one fish left, do you think it will be sick too? And is there a way to prevent it? I will look into formalin.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 60l saltwater aquarium with one shrimp, two snails and two clownfish. In the past, I had two other clownfish but they died after a month of adding them to the tank. When I first got them I noticed white spots on their fins. I didn’t know what ich was, so I ignored it, thinking it wasn’t harmful. The first one died after 3,5 weeks. He became thin, did not want to eat and he started losing his color. Right before the first one died the second one got very sick and died the day after. I waited a month before adding any new life stock to the tank, hoping that if there was a parasite it would die. One month later and I could finally add my new clownfish. It was amazing. They looked super healthy, ate well and they hosted their anemone overnight. Everything seemed right until this morning.. The smaller fish looked very pale and let himself float through the aquarium. He also lost a lot of color and a white fungus is growing around his mouth. I don’t know what to do at this point.. how do I get rid of it? I will add a few photo’s of my first clownfish right before it died because it didn’t look like ich. I suspect that there is a different sickness in the tank which I am not aware of, since i’m very new to the hobby.

0A05DAEE-4EB0-4073-8DF5-4523895DAF1E.png 6D67DEBE-D9C7-4161-A9C8-5224CD6378E7.jpeg F992059A-75E7-44C2-8904-962266A0B8F5.jpeg

I would do a dip and move that fish to a quarantine tank.

Either do a h202 dip: 1.25ml of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide per cup of tank water for 30 min and into a clean QT

or

5 min freshwater dip and then into QT

This is to buy you some time as it will provide temporary relief

I find the hydrogen peroxide dip more gentle then freshwater but be sure it is 3 percent.

The tank should be without fish for a minimum of 45 days at 81-82 degrees. NO cross contamination of water on feeding tools or your hands, etc. It is best the QT tank is not near the display to avoid any splashes.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for responding! Sadly my fish died this morning. I have one fish left, do you think it will be sick too? And is there a way to prevent it? I will look into formalin.

brook is very contagious so I suspect the other clown will probably get sick soon if not treated.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay

Do you know if paraguard is easy to get in Europe? That worked really well for some fish I treated when they had brook.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back