All SPS pale after light falls in sump!

  • Thread starter Thread starter ashr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ashr

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2014
Messages
234
Reaction score
79
Location
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an issue where one of the stick on lights that activates by motion fell into my sump two days ago. I got home from work and noticed and took it out right away. The batteries used where not rushed or leaking but there was some “gunk” from the light when I removed it. Due to this I added carbon to my tank for about an hour 1. The next day after I got home from work I noticed all my SPS where much more pale then they normally area. Usually I have dark greens, dark blues and dark reds but almost every SPS was pale and very light. This is a 2 year old SPS mixed reef tank and everything was very healthy before this happened. I also performed a water change yesterday in hopes that would help.

There is currently not RTS or peeling on the SPS and the LPS, Zoas and my clam all seem happy with no color loss. Only SPS.

I did notice that my Alk had fallen off as well to about 6.76 from around 7.5-7.6 but I feel this would not effect the corals in the way that has happened. And I am raising this up

Anyone have any thoughts?


Tank Specs
Red Sea Reefer 170
2 HD 26 AI’s with 4 ATI T5 bulbs supplied by aquaticlife hybrid.
PH 8.20 to 8.50
Calc 435
ALK (was around 7.7) but is at 122PM or 6.67 DKH (adding more alk through my doser and by hand to raise this up)
Temp 77-78
 
Alk can definitely impact SPS, and I'd run a PolyFilter after an unknown chemical light dip event. Carbon is also good. If your tank has been good, don't change things quickly but slowly move back to "normal."

Good luck!
 
Alk can definitely impact SPS, and I'd run a PolyFilter after an unknown chemical light dip event. Carbon is also good. If your tank has been good, don't change things quickly but slowly move back to "normal."

Good luck!

I wounder if the light, alk drop both combined did the deed. I am running filter floss but will change it out today. Slowly bringing up Alk as well. As long as things are not peeling RTN'ing the color should come back.

I should also mention I run my Po4 around 0.04-0.07 and No4 around .20
 
Yeah, I presumed you have P/NO3. Most of my own historic issues with SPS have been with unplanned Alk changes.
 
I don't think the Alk drop is your issue, from what you timeline, it COULD be your light and perhaps something got into your tank.
 
Run some carbon maybe do a 20% water change. Just don't do anything to fast.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new