All SPS tank help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

hoopsdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to get some feedback as to what you may be running percentage wise if you have all SPS or SPS dominant tank. I am struggling to find a "happy place" for my light settings. I have 2-photon 32's, and a photon 16 over a 96x24x27 SPS tank. Lights are hung 9" above the water line and I have 90 degree optics. They ramp up to 80 blue, 60 white. I have a lot of corals that really fade to almost white and take months to start coloring up again. They grow over the plug, attach to the rock, and have colored polyps, but the corals primary color is "bleaching". Do I have my lighting % to high and if so, what are you running at. Some corals look great and keep their color and some "bleach" and take forever to color back up.

Appreciate your suggestions.

ltbt8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 photon 16's over my 90g and are currently at 65%B - 45%W. I will probably stop at 70%B - 45%W cause everything is growing and colored up great. I started at 30%B - 25%W and have been alternately raising blue first, then white every 3-4 weeks. For the light schedule, I use the excel program someone online came up with. I modified it to calculate 10hrs blue and 8hrs white. My lights are 7.5" from the water line.
Here's a FTS pic:
IMAG1136.jpg

OP
OP
H

hoopsdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped 10% both channels on my lights last night. Your tank is looking great and I appreciate your feedback and your lighting schedule. Most of my corals in the bottom 1/3rd of the tank or slightly shaded and rocking right along. My clam keeps moving from an open area with direct lighting to a shaded area. With water parameters solid and stable, I figured it could only be to much light. Thanks again for your post. Is there anything other than time to help speed the recovery of my SPS. I have heard that potassium is a great aid in helping corals regain color after to much light. Are you familiar with this?

ltbt8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar about anything to speed up the process. I have purchased a couple of bleached corals and had color within 3 weeks. You could try and lowering the corals till color comes back and raise them slowly.

ltbt8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide some more information about the excel program you mentioned? Can you provide a link?

Thanks,

Wade
I think reefbreaders has the 12hr on there site. If you send me your email, I can send you the 12hr and 10hr.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back