Allergic reaction to salt....?

Silly clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skin tends to be very sensitive and prolonged expsoure to salt water inflames it. I have also gotten a poison ivy-like rash complete with blisters from brushing against some of my corals. My frogspawn euphyllia is the worst for this. I don’t notice it at the time, then later wonder “how did I get poison ivy in January...?”

I don’t keep zoanthids because I think they could really irritate my skin. plus, I am not a big fan of the look.

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently noticed this as well. I have mixed my own saltwater for months now, and just recently this week when mixing i felt some burning on top of my right hand below my thumb. It was just a certain spot, and even got little red bumps. This is the first time it has happened so not sure what that was all about. I use regular instant ocean salt and RODI water.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently noticed this as well. I have mixed my own saltwater for months now, and just recently this week when mixing i felt some burning on top of my right hand below my thumb. It was just a certain spot, and even got little red bumps. This is the first time it has happened so not sure what that was all about. I use regular instant ocean salt and RODI water.
Yea Same. It’s kinda weird

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of this hobby (I think) I became allergic to shellfish/invertebrates.

I use to eat shrimp, crab legs; everything. I use to est Red Lobster all you can eat stuff like mad.

Then about 3 yrs ago I became severely allergic to anytime i touched any type of shellfish. I start wheezing reeeeeeeally bad.

I think it developed when I started making my own fish food and overexposed myself to a variety of stuff

So when i feed the tank; it's an automatic hand wash for me.

I cant breath in any flake food that has invertebrates in it

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one that gets a rash, dry skin and small bumps anytime I touch my salt or saltwater? It’s terrible and requires me to wear gloves pretty much anytime I work on my tank.

Yep happens to me when I put my arm in my tank, but for some reason not the actual ocean lol

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of this hobby (I think) I became allergic to shellfish/invertebrates.

I use to eat shrimp, crab legs; everything. I use to est Red Lobster all you can eat stuff like mad.

Then about 3 yrs ago I became severely allergic to anytime i touched any type of shellfish. I start wheezing reeeeeeeally bad.

I think it developed when I started making my own fish food and overexposed myself to a variety of stuff

So when i feed the tank; it's an automatic hand wash for me.

I cant breath in any flake food that has invertebrates in it
Wow, that’s crazy

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back