Allergies???

Reef J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a saltwater aquarium for 3 years now. 125 inc sump with chato. Live in FL with very high humidity and go through about 7 gallons a week on evaporation. My son has been having bad allergies while at home for the summer. Has anyone had any allergies or symptoms because of aquarium? Just curious if it could be an issue. Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve had a saltwater aquarium for 3 years now. 125 inc sump with chato. Live in FL with very high humidity and go through about 7 gallons a week on evaporation. My son has been having bad allergies while at home for the summer. Has anyone had any allergies or symptoms because of aquarium? Just curious if it could be an issue. Thanks
I have seen over the last few decades persons reacting to odors from tank via evaporation and humidity and even skin reactions when hand goes into tank.
While I use them exclusively, many do not favor glass covers but they will help with evaporation and odors. Same with having fresh carbon in the sump

OP
OP
Reef J

Reef J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen over the last few decades persons reacting to odors from tank via evaporation and humidity and even skin reactions when hand goes into tank.
While I use them exclusively, many do not favor glass covers but they will help with evaporation and odors. Same with having fresh carbon in the sump
Did you make or purchase the cover? This is the first I hear of people being affected by the odors or evaporation. I guess I’m not going crazy. I’ll look into the cover and carbon

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to say it but while it could be your tank contributing the likely cause is just Florida and the heat and humidity. Extra wet this year with associated mold, pollen etc. I've had pretty bad environmental allergies for some time and they are extra bad this year. I know plenty of people, including next door neighbor, who don't own fish tanks and are suffering pretty bad this year and my workplace sounds like a TB ward. If your running ozone that is absolutely bad especially for kids if it is not trapped at tank by carbon. I have a 200g with glass tops and it still evaporates a fair amount of water. My 32g has a net top and it probably sucks more water than the 200. I have several air cleaners in the house and use 3x at least MPR 1500/Merv 12 air filters for AC plus it has a UV sterilizer. My AC runs 72-73 which keeps the humidity 50-55%. Much more humidity than that in Florida and you're likely growing some mold. If you have a tank also evaporating a lot of water and you don't run your AC enough, you are asking for problems. I know people that turn off or crank air up to 80+ when not home during the day. Worst thing you can do in FL.

Last edited:

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d suggest a air purifier/dehumidifier.

while it might not be allergies, many people are sensitive to humid air.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Did you make or purchase the cover? This is the first I hear of people being affected by the odors or evaporation. I guess I’m not going crazy. I’ll look into the cover and carbon
When there is not uch air flow and evaporation is in the air- you will be subject to. For covers- Had them custom made. Request used glass from a glass shop- Its cheaper but assure its tempered and safe for aquarium application.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 39 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 34 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back