Allons-y!!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was more RODI-making, salt mixing, and tank filling. Made it just to the overflow before having to stop for the night. Cleared up in about an hour with the micron filter.

PXL_20230304_015010100.jpg

PXL_20230304_023108906.jpg

PXL_20230304_055656822.jpg

I do think I'll have to remove some of the sand but it's pretty for now :)
How fine is that sand and what depth? Just curious how it handles water velocity?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the water sound? I was thinking that adding a small piece of pipe to extend the main drain to just below the water will make it much more quiet and reduce salt creep from splashing.
1678238847763.png

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the water sound? I was thinking that adding a small piece of pipe to extend the main drain to just below the water will make it much more quiet and reduce salt creep from splashing.
1678238847763.png
I did. These pics were before the tank was full enough to run. There is a 3" piece of pipe (2" showing) stuck into the bottom of the bulkheads.

And the water sound is non-existent :cool: . Whole thing is silent once dialed in.

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fine is that sand and what depth? Just curious how it handles water velocity?
It's CaribSea Fiji Pink so not like sugar, but not very large. I don't have a huge amount of flow/velocity but it seems to be pretty "settled".

Depth is 3+ inches but I'm going to remove some as I overestimated what I needed. Especially once I start scaping and moving sand around, it will deeper than I want -- prefer around 2 inches.

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, a build thread from you to add to my list!
I am definitely looking forward to update pictures as this progresses and hoping your profile picture of a foxface is an indicator of at least one fish to be added!
I already have a foxface - the one in my picture, lol. He will go into the new tank along with everyone else. He's 6 inches long.

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish that are moving into the tank from my others:
2 clowns
Sixline wrasse
Blue eye/two-spot bristletooth tang
Pajama cardinal
One spot foxface
Yellow tang
Marine betta
Blue mandarin dragonet-female
Yellow midas blenny
Bicolor blenny
3 blue chromis
*2 yellow watchman gobies and their tiger pistol shrimp

*These will go into a 32 gallon Biocube... the shrimp routinely bulldozes the sand and I need to wait until I see how the coral placement turns out before deciding whether to put him in the new tank.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like the dimensions of your tank. If it shapes up to look anything like your 90, it's gonna be beautiful. Tagging along.

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the chalice and cyphastrea boulder into the tank. Also moved some "new" rock...
Had some rock that I took out of the 90 a while back during a rescape, so put some of that into a 20 gallon about a month ago to make sure anything that ended up remaining on the rocks got broken down.
So I pulled most of those and added them to the tank.

Cleaned off a couple more rocks from the 90 (scrubbed algae, sprayed with h2o2) and got another 20+ micro brittle stars off them. My tank is apparently infested with them, lol!

(Putting the stars into the tank, just "rescuing" them from the toothbrush and peroxide while cleaning the rocks)

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad you finally started a build thread. I’m also glad I’m caught up on it. I still have several more to catch up on.

Your 90 is amazing! I can’t wait to see your new system with all those awesome corals in it!

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad you finally started a build thread. I’m also glad I’m caught up on it. I still have several more to catch up on.

Your 90 is amazing! I can’t wait to see your new system with all those awesome corals in it!
David Tennant Thank You GIF by Doctor Who

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now I have to rewatch the David Tenant years! Best Doctor.

Also following the tank build obviously
I need to rewatch them too... Especially since he is 14 and Donna will be back :)

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning off a rock from my display to put in the new tank... Can you say brittle stars?? There were so many more still in the rock!
(I tried removing them before spraying the algae on the other side of the rock with H2O2)

PXL_20230305_060712183.jpg PXL_20230305_063218047.jpg
I was also tearing down my two temperate tanks on Sat. ( I am going to replace them with one RS170)
I swear it feels like I am saving hundreds of micro brittles! Most went into the holding tank, but I put quite a few in my other four tanks. even today I still found some in my rinsed sand/gravel buckets. I remember when I got excited with my very first one.

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also tearing down my two temperate tanks on Sat. ( I am going to replace them with one RS170)
I swear it feels like I am saving hundreds of micro brittles! Most went into the holding tank, but I put quite a few in my other four tanks. even today I still found some in my rinsed sand/gravel buckets. I remember when I got excited with my very first one.
Oh, the best part will be after I have all the rock and fish out of the 90 and can sift endlessly through the 8 year old sandbed for all the hair worms, etc :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, the best part will be after I have all the rock and fish out of the 90 and can sift endlessly through the 8 year old sandbed for all the hair worms, etc :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
4 huge bristles... Still debating whether or not I put them back in... I know they are great for detritus... but Holy Kevin Bacon...

Back