Almost 3 weeks since tank crash

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

So, I've gotten some good advice on how to restart my tank. It crashed about a month ago and was down in the dumps because nothing seemed to be working. Fast forward to now, 2 weeks of cycling with a rock from a LFS well established sump, 2 bottles of Dr. Tim's One and Only, a bottle of Instant Ocean Biospira, and 2 damselfish, my tank was cycled. Unfortunately, the Damsels didn't make it. Looked like they fought to death . I added a Molly,pair of Maroon clownfish (bought together), and a Coris Wrasse (all in this order). I was told all the fish in there are slow growers so I have time to upgrade. I also have 2 Duncan corals. They opened up within an hr of getting them home. Here's the dilemma. I'm running my tank a bit warmer because that gave me success when I had a freshwater tank plus the tank near the window (I'm in NYC and it's COLD!) Thermometer is reading 84 degrees. I don't plan to add any more fish; maybe some crabs to keep the sand clean, but the Molly is a cleaning machine. Any suggestions? My goal is a reef tank mixed with soft and LPS corals along with breeding clownfish and another fish or 2 that has color but also cleans. See pic and video. (AI Prime is running 12 hrs a day w/ 2hrs warm up and 2hrs cool down and at max it's at 30% intensity
EB95B1C0-0136-4D31-96B8-36D45244F444.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    30.1 MB

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love with what you have for a bit. Try to get through the various ugly stages of algae and such.

My first salt tank was a 20g that had been running for a year. I bought it from a guy with 2 clowns and a yellow watchman. I added a bit more rock and over the next few months I went through various algae and diatoms. A peppermint kept my aptasia in check and my skunk cleaner set up station. I learned to keep water stable with good water changes, sand cleaning, and salt mixing for consistency. Made it through all that and the tank looked pristine for years with my 3 fish until I had to break it down for a move.

I say this story because even though I inherited years old cycled rock, I still had an ugly phase from the move and disruption of the tank. You may want to get through that ugly phase before adding.

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh ok thank you so I'll keep what I have and just let nature take its course and get things stable. Thank you!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back