Almost dino free but need help!!

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've managed to stop my dino bloom. It was everywhere, bubbles all on the rocks, big mats on the sand bed. I did a 4 day Black out mixed with UV and dosed nitrate and good bacteria. This almost eradicated them, although now my nitrates sit at 80, and my phos at 0.25. And even tho I have bio pellets running the nitrate is not moving at all.

What happens now is that every other day I get a light dusting on the sand that gets darker if not stirred up every day which I can only assume its coming back? I have them to the point that at a glance you wouldn't say I had dino.

How can I get them gone from here?! I'm so soooo close please someone help.

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures before

DSC_0523.JPG DSC_0522.JPG DSC_0521.JPG

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any Microscope pics of the kind you are dealing with?

do you have green algae growing on the glass yet?

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do not have a microscope but I norrowed it down to the one beginning with p. Yes in the last few days I have noticed a slight tiny bit of hair algae and green on the glass near the sand bed.

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also have a bit of green cyano, but my corals and hems seem unhappy probably due to the high nitrate.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a microscope but I norrowed it down to the one beginning with p. Yes in the last few days I have noticed a slight tiny bit of hair algae and green on the glass near the sand bed.
Ok, that’s good.
But the problem is that if you do a water change now, you give the Dino’s more elements. If you don’t, your nutrient levels may make algae grow like nuts.
When I dealt with Dino’s, I targeted 5-10 no3 and 0.05-0.1 po4.
if corals are looking good, I would do nothing fast.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I don’t see snails in the pics. Do you already have a CUC?
If not, I would get some before algae starts growing more.
Your angel is beautiful.

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I don’t see snails in the pics. Do you already have a CUC?
If not, I would get some before algae starts growing more.
Your angel is beautiful.

This is what is puzzling, with that high nutrients, I would be expecting my glass film algae full every day!! I have a snail in there, I have a picasso trigger so I'm reluctant to buy anything it can munch on, I went with the idea that this tank was going to be fish only with live rock, and the dino came over from my other tank, although now its soo much better. I'm going to let the film algae keep growing, but I'm worried about my bubble tip. It's only half open.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I’m at a loss. because my gut says do a water change, 50% because that will get no3 down to 40 and PO4 down to 0.1
And coral and nem should be happier. But that may help Dino’s.
But we are not sure you are dealing with Dino’s...
Do you think the coral/nem are not doing well is due to high nitrate or suspected Dino’s? Maybe a couple more days without any change will let you see how they respond to current nutrients.

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I’m at a loss. because my gut says do a water change, 50% because that will get no3 down to 40 and PO4 down to 0.1
And coral and nem should be happier. But that may help Dino’s.
But we are not sure you are dealing with Dino’s...
Do you think the coral/nem are not doing well is due to high nitrate or suspected Dino’s? Maybe a couple more days without any change will let you see how they respond to current nutrients.
One more point, I added about 100000 pods on Monday and I can't see a single one on the glass. This seems to be the problem, I add pods and they dissappear. I will try a 50% water change, because these nutrients are sky high and should be blooming algae. It feels like the algae is trying but something else is starving it.

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more point, I added about 100000 pods on Monday and I can't see a single one on the glass. This seems to be the problem, I add pods and they dissappear. I will try a 50% water change, because these nutrients are sky high and should be blooming algae. It feels like the algae is trying but something else is starving it.
This is the tank now after storing the sand. Much improvement from the first pictures but Its still there I feel

16036293886771440257121299011179.jpg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank seems to be looking a lot better. Unfortunately Dino’s will always be there looking for their opportunity to take over. You just need to make the environment more suitable to their competition.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back