Almost Instadeath

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay a little update....got all of my RO and ATO system in place with a definite 0 ppm water.

Here are current values that I just took an hour ago:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 0 to 5 API test kit but it's very yellow on the chart
Alkalinity - 7.324 dkh
Salinity - 1.025
Phosphate - 0.02
Co2 - 10 ppm
PH - 7.8

So with all of that said i did notice that after the "crash", I started to get what I believe is cyano. Is there any kind of algae bloom that could've occurred in between the diatom and cyano stages that sucked oxygen out of the water? I didnt see any difference in the water visually when I got home from work that day and I cant say that my wife was paying attention to anything other than the fish.

I have some of the Microbacter Clean ordered to help with the cyano as it is out of control. Within two days of siphoning a bunch out, it's back in full force.

As always, any thoughts on this is appreciated.

This is after 3 to 4 days....very heavy

20200726_134411.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uggh! I hate that stuff. I have battled it in the past. Getting nitrates up a bit, good flow, lots of little siphon water changes helps. Blow off rocks. Honestly, I resorted to red slime remover in my 210g. Had to do two dosings. Worked better.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Okay a little update....got all of my RO and ATO system in place with a definite 0 ppm water.

Here are current values that I just took an hour ago:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 0 to 5 API test kit but it's very yellow on the chart
Alkalinity - 7.324 dkh
Salinity - 1.025
Phosphate - 0.02
Co2 - 10 ppm
PH - 7.8

So with all of that said i did notice that after the "crash", I started to get what I believe is cyano. Is there any kind of algae bloom that could've occurred in between the diatom and cyano stages that sucked oxygen out of the water? I didnt see any difference in the water visually when I got home from work that day and I cant say that my wife was paying attention to anything other than the fish.

I have some of the Microbacter Clean ordered to help with the cyano as it is out of control. Within two days of siphoning a bunch out, it's back in full force.

As always, any thoughts on this is appreciated.

This is after 3 to 4 days....very heavy

20200726_134411.jpg
Cyano bacteria. Increase water flow towards, NOT at the gravel bed. Reduce white liht intensity a little and siphon up. If it persists, Chemi clean will get rid of this safely

1595792598608.png

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you jump to using chemiclean. Read this article here on R2R and using H2O2 to treat cyano. I did it and it worked.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back