Almost Instadeath

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... 2 cups if salt, but no change in salinity. Any sea hares or cucumbers that may have died? Any idea of ph before and after?

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No cucumbers or hares. 2 cups of salt is very small compared to total water volume so I didnt expect a change. Wife doesnt quite understand that ratio.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns have been in four months. Anthias about two months and trigger 1 1/2 weeks. All came from TSM and have been very healthy and eating great even this morning

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We feed ocean nutrition flake food in morning, new life nutrition at lunch and LRS Reef Frenzy at night
I have had something like this happen twice.
The first one was cause by a large carpet anemone that decided that it was going to get into my overflow box at night. These thing are like Octopuses, they can squeeze through the small gratings of the overflow. Long and short was that he got stuck about half way through and then he started to let of toxins. It killed every fish except for one kind. Yep it was the clown fish! I woke up and everyone else was stone dead on the sand but the clowns where swimming around like nothing had happened.

The second time was the biggest disaster of all and it was caused by insecticide sprayed in the house. It took almost 24 hours to start killing the fish and by the fourth day all fish and corals were dead.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No dosing yet but do have a complete GHL system to get set up. I have zero corals. The only other thing is she topped off the sump with RO just like she has done for the last few months for me.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I wish I could pinpoint a toxic but the wife is allergic to everything but water and maybe air lol so nothing "smelly" gets set free I'm the house. The only door open in our house was the bedroom but that's around a couple corners on other side of house

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all of the help and ideas everyone. Need some sleep as work always comes too early. If you have any other ideas, let them rip and I'll answer in the morning.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For dosing, I was more asking about Vibrant or chemiclean: things to address algae issues. They can reduce oxygen in the tank. Skimmer or airstone would offset. Knowing your ph would be helpful.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a broken pump, magnet or other equipment leaking chemicals into the water? Chemicals leaking into the system from another location? Food compromised in some way (new batch)? Perhaps it’s work looking under your scape you might find something, maybe your rocks have something in them that has leached out over time?

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity 1.023, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, temp 77

350g, 125g sump with 60g fill. 6 month old system. I keep some bags of carbon in sump. I use RO water

9 anthia, blue throat trigger, 2 mocha clowns. All fish quarantined through TSM and were beautiful and ate great!

Wife fed at 1030 AM and everyone was fine, she text me at 330 PM saying they are all acting lethargic. She remembered me saying I'd like the salinity up a little so she put 2 cups of salt in the sump and put some RO water in to top sump off....dont ask me why....she thought she was helping out cuz that may be the issue.

I get home at 5 PM. Everything but clowns were hiding. Found most of them and all fish were breathing hard. Within an hour most anthia were dead.

I have a 20 g with a smaller melanurus and leopard in QT. I snagged the clowns and trigger and put in QT.

Some things that seem odd to me....tank has some diatoms but not too bad. Only a handful of pencil eraser size green algae spots on the rocks, otherwise the rock is still white where the diatoms/little bit of hair algae is. It seems like the crabs and snails are okay. Water still looks crystal clear

I saw one fish go to top of water for what seemed like air so I cranked up the return pump some praying it would help some but it was a hopeless try.

Only other thing I thought would be an algae bloom but the water looked clear with no signs of fog. Any help would be great as I'm seriously upset about all of this and the wife is in tears thinking she did it.

Thanks everyone!!
Sorry but I have to ask, why salt in the sump? I have never heard of anyone doing that.it has to be mixed at least 24 hrs well some salts less.. then you can add it to the tank..BSR t.v. has a video on salt and how long different salts take to mix before putting it into the tank.so the salt doesnt end up on your corals and fish.. hope they are all o.k. your wife must feel awful..so sorry...

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but I have to ask, why salt in the sump? I have never heard of anyone doing that.it has to be mixed at least 24 hrs well some salts less.. then you can add it to the tank..BSR t.v. has a video on salt and how long different salts take to mix before putting it into the tank.so the salt doesnt end up on your corals and fish.. hope they are all o.k. your wife must feel awful..so sorry...
I think his wife did it not realising that you can just add salt without mixing first..

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock was completely dead and ordered from reefcleaners. She said the fish were acting odd and added the salt afterwards not knowing to dissolve it first. the food came from containers that we had already been using for at least a month.

I can check the equipment tonight but if it leaked or went bad in less than 6 months then the vendors wont like me much and all of the equipment was purchased new.

The trigger didnt make it through the night but both clowns look fine this morning. Crabs and snails still seem good in the DT

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with others, 2 cups of salt in that amount of water while not a great idea is really negligible. At this point I would just pull a water sample and send it off for a test and start running a whole lot of carbon considering what fish you have left. To me it seems like an oxygen issue since you’ve narrowed down voltage and sprays not being an issue.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%

Back