Alternative to Live Aquaria

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t think of anyone that had long term success with a pencil wrasse. IMO, moorish idols are iffy at best.

My Moorish was very healthy and huge eater. But they learn to like corals too...sadly. Mine did not but. But my hippo tang ate my corals last month, watching my Foxface eat them. LOL...they gone. Never had pencil wrasse, sorry.

reefproaquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was as surprised as you for this. Now I’m looking for another alternative to LA. Reefs4less looks promising. Prices are on the better side. I still need to order: hippo tang, naso, firefish, pencil wrasse, moorish idol, and blue throat trigger.
Email TSM Aquatics. Pretty sure they have everything but the pencil Wrasse.

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Over the past year or so Live Aquaria quality and service has really fallen off. Today was the last time I will use them. I'm looking for an alternative. I don't have a Lfs near me. Here's the story. I ordered a leaopard wrasse from Divers Den and 3 cleaner shrimp from the regular live Aquaria site. The fish came doa ice cold. No heat packs in the box!! They never shipped the shrimp. I called and they couldn't tell me why the order did not ship or when it would. This seems to be happening more and more often. It's really unfortunate. They used to be great. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed the drop off in quality.
Ordered multiple corals a lobster that was “reef safe” (ended up killing 7 fish) and a few others I hate them so much everything but that stupid lobster died never had a issue with my own fish dying from a lfs

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reef4Less.com website (fish pics especially) looks a lot like FishyAquatics.com that recently closed.

NOT saying that is same, just wondering if anyone knows where/how Reef4Less got started?

Thx.

JamesS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away from saltwaterfish. Very deceiving company regarding their doa credits.
My experience with them as well. Gave them a try to save a few bucks but clearly you get what you pay for with SaltwaterFish and I won't be back, my advice stay away!

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reef4Less.com website (fish pics especially) looks a lot like FishyAquatics.com that recently closed.

NOT saying that is same, just wondering if anyone knows where/how Reef4Less got started?

Thx.
Same wholesaler, so same pics. Just like saltwaterfish.com.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really....! wow how do they close shop three times...and reopen with new name? How many people got lost $ I wonder? Sad.
You misunderstand me, I'm sorry if I wasnt clear.

All these retailers get their fish from Sea Dwelling Creatures, a wholesaler. Saltwaterfish, Reef4Less, and ParagonReefs, as far as I know, have never had anything to do with each other. Different companies. Sourcing from the same retailer.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... I could be wrong but reefs4less in Vero Beach FL looks suspiciously like the operation that has been ripping people off and changing names over and over the past 8+ years. The website has drastically changed but the address is suspicious. I know that place tried to rip me off on live rock probably 6 years ago and ended with a CC chargeback. Me personally I would not buy much of anything from South Florida sellers other than a few that do frag swaps. Just a good likelihood of getting ripped off.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've shopped many times at Reefs4Less, they are a great source. I really wish people wouldnt slander new companies based on suspicions or rumors. Its hard enough to start and operate a new business, in any industry.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to love LiveAquaria (particularly Diver's Den) and wouldn't have thought about ordering anywhere else. Most recently, I placed an invert order and 1 of 3 packages didn't ship on the day I had requested (instead it shipped out the day after) and they did not contact me about the change at all in the middle of winter. I called customer service and explained I was not at all upset about it but I wanted to communicate it in case it happens again to another customer when someone is not home, etc. Unfortunately, the customer service agent was friendly but didn't really seem to think this was a significant issue.

I would still not hesitate to order inverts from LiveAquaria or anything directly from ORA through LiveAquaria. Fish I would think hard about. Sucks because they were hands down the best for a LONG time.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've shopped many times at Reefs4Less, they are a great source. I really wish people wouldnt slander new companies based on suspicions or rumors. Its hard enough to start and operate a new business, in any industry.
Maybe you should take a look at their 1.5 Yelp rating or other reviews. According to Yelp they have been around 7+ years.

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

100% agree.
But where did Reef4Less come from, and why would they use same pics and website template?
We need new vendors!!
But fishyaquatics was spin off and it failed the same, so asking questions is good for us all.
I hope they are awesome.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And BTW I pull my previous comment about Live Aquaria and I'm done with them. Sad to say I don't know of much of any reliable online sellers that have any kind of selection/availability at reasonable prices.
I ordered 3 Resplendant Anthias, 1 Melanurus and 2 Springeri damsels from LA (20% off) that arrived last week. They failed to use heat packs and the bag temp when I checked floating was 69F. 1 Resplendant DOA, another in less than 24hrs along with a springeri that was about the size of my pinky nail. The other 3 are fine but that was just unacceptable loss. Despite everything they tried to just respond with a form email and store credit. After some back and forth they did issue a "one time courtesy" refund.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you should take a look at their 1.5 Yelp rating or other reviews. According to Yelp they have been around 7+ years.
I ‘like’ their recommended 3 hr drip acclimation ... they don’t care, they have no guarantee!

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefs4less is saltwaterfish without the 15-day guarantee. Same owners. They primarily use Sea Dwelling Creatures as their wholesaler.

Fishybusiness/Aqualocker/Paragon Reef also primarily used Sea Dwelling Creatures as their wholesaler, which is why the photos look the same.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why on earth would I read an online review for a company I've got personal experience with? Most online reviews are either paid advertising or trolling. There is an entire industry, people work full time creating reviews and feedback for a fee. I can't imagine reading a yelp review for anything beyond entertainment value.

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef4Less already gone. Everything on website is out of stock????

uh oh.

28449222-647D-4F84-AB69-1F2623A7D04E.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back