Alternative to Tunze Switched Socket Adapter

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The adapter from Tunze (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-osmolator-switched-socket-outlet.html) is spendy, and kinda bulky with all the adapters needed for US-style plugs. I am a prior customer of DLI (Atomic Pi and Web Power Switch) and noticed that they have an "IOT Relay" at https://dlidirect.com/products/iot-power-relay. It looks like it can take in a DC signal and turn on an outlet. I'm thinking that the connector from the Osmolator controller could be wired into this, and any pump of choice plugged into the NOFF outlet. Same function, for $25. Am I missing something here or does this look like a viable alternative?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what this guy does in this video, I’d assume any 12v DC pump would work without having to use the switched socket adapter. He just directly connects a Spectrapure peristaltic pump to the Tunze pump crimp connections and it seems to work just fine.

You just have to make sure that you select a pump that has an appropriate flow rate, as the 3155 has a 10 minute safety shutoff.

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Based on what this guy does in this video, I’d assume any 12v DC pump would work without having to use the switched socket adapter. He just directly connects a Spectrapure peristaltic pump to the Tunze pump crimp connections and it seems to work just fine.

You just have to make sure that you select a pump that has an appropriate flow rate, as the 3155 has a 10 minute safety shutoff.

That’s exactly what I want to do but for a Versa. Now to try and cut the line or not. Hmmmmm....

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the IOT relay? I'm interested in connecting multiple devices to the tunze 3155 AOT.

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, the IOT relay works great.

When the water level drops, the tunze sends a DC signal to the IOT relay, which activates the relay. This turns on two sockets and turns one off that is normally on. It even has surge protection and an additional socket that always remains on.

I got it on amazon with prime shipping for 26 dollars.

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, the IOT relay works great.

When the water level drops, the tunze sends a DC signal to the IOT relay, which activates the relay. This turns on two sockets and turns one off that is normally on. It even has surge protection and an additional socket that always remains on.

I got it on amazon with prime shipping for 26 dollars.

Apologies for necroing this tread. I would like to know how you wired in the tunze into the relay. Do you just cut the splice off of the tunze and stick the wires into IOT relay? Does it require anything other than this?

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for necroing this tread. I would like to know how you wired in the tunze into the relay. Do you just cut the splice off of the tunze and stick the wires into IOT relay? Does it require anything other than this?
You could do it your way, but I needed mine longer so i kept the tunze wire unspliced and got speaker wire to extend it.

I plugged one end of the speaker wire to the tunze female connection (this is the end that would normally plug into the tunze pump), and connected the other end of the speaker wire to relay outlet switch. Just make sure the polarity is correct on the speaker wire or else it won't work (just reverse one end and it will work).

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving this thread a bump curious how everyone is liking their setup. The tunze osmolator pump is rather loud for me so thinking about doing something similar.

What pump did you guys go with?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may use this to fill my 10 gallon ato reservoir behind the tank from my water mixing station 60 feet away in the garage.

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Giving this thread a bump curious how everyone is liking their setup. The tunze osmolator pump is rather loud for me so thinking about doing something similar.

What pump did you guys go with?
I’m using an Ecotech Versa pump

not for sound but because it’s strong and can pull water from far away

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using an Ecotech Versa pump

not for sound but because it’s strong and can pull water from far away
I like it. When they come back in stock I actually want to get one to run Kalk 24/7 then have an ATO make up the difference. Maybe then I won't be so annoyed by the loudness if it isn't coming on very often.

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my tank so its not setup yet but i will be using a Kamoer dosing pump. I've tested the pump and its very quiet. My setup required that there couldn't be a syphon so I had to go with this type of pump.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back