ALTERNATIVES to RO/DI?

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Before someone starts a fight, I can't buy an RO/DI system because the person who I'm splitting purchases with me is refusing to pay because he has had successful reef tanks without using RO/DI and because it's expensive (same city). So please don't persuade me to get one (as much as I know you want to because it's pointless. I want to get one, trust me, but I have to work with what I got). My city's water quality is pretty good. The only thing wrong with it is that there are high phosphates. No heavy metals or anything. Nitrates are 0. Alkalinity and Calcium are fine (11 dKH and 320 ppm respectively [ehh maybe not ideal for calcium. Also using an API test kit so may be bad. I have Coraline so idk.]), but my phosphates are typically around .25. I plan to have softies and LPS. No SPS. This is all according to EWG, which tells you all the contaminants in your tap water. Are there any alternatives to RO/DI water that lowers phosphates?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
supposedly 25% of americans get great lakes water. If you are one of them you could use it. Its pH is between 7.1-7.3 with a ppm 100-130 ish ... not bad fall - spring. Not ideal either ...
Anyway, there is tap water in the USA you can use, RO isn’t a absolute
if phosphates is the only issue, try Lanthium

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
target sells distilled water for 65C a gallon. not far off from an RO system, considering how much water you get before changing filters.
They’re Also against buying distilled water. I may get just a DI system with my money since Tds is low enough for it wouldn’t burn through the media

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
City water will contain traces of ammonia, copper and various form of chlorine. If you can't use RoDi I would either buy it from your LFS premixed or get 5 gallon jugs of distilled from the grocery.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tap water for my tank just treat it with seachem safe. I also don't do water changes so I'm not introducing new water all the time to help keep it stable.
Currently using prime to be safe. Haven’t heard of seachem safe but I’ll give it a look.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Before someone starts a fight, I can't buy an RO/DI system because the person who I'm splitting purchases with me is refusing to pay because he has had successful reef tanks without using RO/DI and because it's expensive (same city). So please don't persuade me to get one (as much as I know you want to because it's pointless. I want to get one, trust me, but I have to work with what I got). My city's water quality is pretty good. The only thing wrong with it is that there are high phosphates. No heavy metals or anything. Nitrates are 0. Alkalinity and Calcium are fine (11 dKH and 320 ppm respectively [ehh maybe not ideal for calcium. Also using an API test kit so may be bad. I have Coraline so idk.]), but my phosphates are typically around .25. I plan to have softies and LPS. No SPS. This is all according to EWG, which tells you all the contaminants in your tap water. Are there any alternatives to RO/DI water that lowers phosphates?
"splitting purchases" ... 65 cents a gallon ... it outside your budget... SO, Blue Vet PhosphateRx may be in your future... but I don't know how you can afford this or anything if you can't afford clean water.... Perhaps pickup a side hustle/job for extra money

You can have a reef tank and a small fortune... usually you begin by having a large fortune... ROFL

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"splitting purchases" ... 65 cents a gallon ... it outside your budget... SO, Blue Vet PhosphateRx may be in your future... but I don't know how you can afford this or anything if you can't afford clean water.... Perhaps pickup a side hustle/job for extra money

You can have a reef tank and a small fortune... usually you begin by having a large fortune... ROFL
I gotta agree with above post. RoDi is a very small cost in the scheme of things. I've lost coral that were more expensive than my BRS 5 stage.
It’s not as much the cost than it is their opinion on it. They’ve run successful tanks without it and so they don’t think I should spend the extra money on one of those no matter how hard I try.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not as much the cost than it is their opinion on it. They’ve run successful tanks without it and so they don’t think I should spend the extra money on one of those no matter how hard I try.
I would bite the bullet and buy it myself.

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bite the bullet and buy it myself.
Agree put in 50 dollars of your own money and move on. Less chance to loose expensive corals and or fish. More so with City water god knows what they put in it. Just because one had luck in the past does not mean it will keep on the same path.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree put in 50 dollars of your own money and move on. Less chance to loose expensive corals and or fish. More so with City water god knows what they put in it. Just because one had luck in the past does not mean it will keep on the same path.
That’s what I’m saying. Im on yalls side. I’m going to get a TDS reading of my tap water tomorrow to see where it’s at. If it’s below 50ppm, I may buy a 2 stage DI which would be much cheaper and still save me money. It’s most likely below this number. My city has some of the best water in the state from what I have read.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m saying. Im on yalls side. I’m going to get a TDS reading of my tap water tomorrow to see where it’s at. If it’s below 50ppm, I may buy a 2 stage DI which would be much cheaper and still save me money. It’s most likely below this number. My city has some of the best water in the state from what I have read.
If you're going to do it, do it. Skimping on it may be the difference between chlorine/chloromine or not. I started with a 4 stage and even upgraded from that.

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
, this is the one I have! Took my well water from 65ppm to 0ppm

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to do it, do it. Skimping on it may be the difference between chlorine/chloromine or not. I started with a 4 stage and even upgraded from that.
So are you saying to just skip the two stage DI and get a 4 stage RODI? Basically go big or go home? Or are you just saying to stop questioning on getting the dual and just get it

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you saying to just skip the two stage DI and get a 4 stage RODI? Basically go big or go home? Or are you just saying to stop questioning on getting the dual and just get it
How big of a tank? Anything above a 40 I'd recommend the 5 stage just to save money in the long run. 4 for anything under would be fine.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back