Alternatives to Sponge Guards for MP40s?

  • Thread starter Thread starter astraycat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

astraycat

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 29, 2014
Messages
37
Reaction score
16
Location
CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I recently got a pair of MP40s.

I've been using the sponge guards since I do have anemones in my tank, but they get clogged and greatly reduce the flow in what seems like hours.

Are there alternatives?

Thanks,
-a stray cat
 
They sell 3D printed ones on bulk reef supply as well
I originally purchased one of the ones BRS sells, but I like the one Evan makes because it is a direct replacement of the stock "cage". The one at BRS goes over the top of the stock "cage" and makes the MP40 HUGE.
 
I originally purchased one of the ones BRS sells, but I like the one Evan makes because it is a direct replacement of the stock "cage". The one at BRS goes over the top of the stock "cage" and makes the MP40 HUGE.

Anyone have a link to Evan's product?
Thank you! :)
 
Has anyone tested these to see if they actually work ... as opposed to just assuming they do? I’m frankly skeptical.
 
Has anyone tested these to see if they actually work ... as opposed to just assuming they do? I’m frankly skeptical.
I had one of my Haddoni carpets get stuck in a gyre pump, a jebao pump, and my MP40 before installing the nem guard and I have had ZERO problems since. One nem climbed onto it, but was unable to get through and I was able to just let him move off on his own. So IME, YES! They work!
 
Hi guys,

I recently got a pair of MP40s.

I've been using the sponge guards since I do have anemones in my tank, but they get clogged and greatly reduce the flow in what seems like hours.

Are there alternatives?

Thanks,
-a stray cat
Have you tried running your pumps without the covers?

I ran 4xMP10s in my 75G without covers without 'nem issues ...
 
I bought some on EBay. Just make sure you get ones that actually provide a buffer space between the wetside and the guard. Some are just covers and don’t provide enough protection. It only takes one tentacle to get sucked in to pull in the entire anemone.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new