Am I feeding my fish right?

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im wondering if this is a good feeding routine, i feed twice a day once in the morning with pellets and once at dusk right before i turn off the lights in the tank with flakes, and once or twice a week i feed frozen to have variety, both times i feed the fish until they get full and stop eating and any leftovers i don't take out because my cleaner shrimp and hermit crabs eat them, Is this bad?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To lower po4 use rowaphos, type in Google for a rowaphos calculator and it will tell you how much to use for the amount of po4 in your tank.

as for feeding, fish in the wild eat many many times a day, so feeding a few times a day is the way to go, you need to balance this with how much nutrients (po4 and nitrates) you are adding to the tank, remove more and you can feed more, so you need keep an eye on your lvls.

Feed as many different frozen fish foods you can get, and pellets if you wish, but remember pellets have a lot of nutrients so they will add much more nutrients to your water, which will need removing.

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a green killing matching will this remove phosphate’s and i also ordered a api phosphate test should i just cancel it?
Depends on UV wattage versus tank volume.
The 24 watt will work on day 120 to 180 gallons, this is what I use. Smaller volumes, smaller wattage.

It “sterilizes” water column algae so it cannot reproduce, thus reducing the algae. Great on Dinos at night. Does nothing for algae on hard surfaces.

It will make your water crystal clear, which may not be the best for the tanks micro-Fauna.

It use it only if needed, for a few days or so, then I pull it.

The only test that ever worked for me for phosphate is the Hanna UL Phosphorus checker in PPB.

Other kits will render a colour, but because there’s so little in the water, can be very hard to read.

Phosphate is IMM, super important in the tanks bio needs and feeds the bacteria which are then taken up by corals.

Zero, is starvation, 0.03-.1ppm ish is great, too much in newer systems is bad, slows growth and feeds the pest algaes.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back