Am I feeding my fish right?

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im wondering if this is a good feeding routine, i feed twice a day once in the morning with pellets and once at dusk right before i turn off the lights in the tank with flakes, and once or twice a week i feed frozen to have variety, both times i feed the fish until they get full and stop eating and any leftovers i don't take out because my cleaner shrimp and hermit crabs eat them, Is this bad?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does your nitrate and phosphate measure. Why wait until right before lights out. My fish get revved up after feeding. I want them to settle down before light out.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If youre feeding flakes and pellets only, not a total diet and you will want to add:
Mysis shrimp
Spirulina brine shrimp
Lrs Fish frenzy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does your nitrate and phosphate measure. Why wait until right before lights out. My fish get revved up after feeding. I want them to settle down before light out.
I dont test phosphates because i don't have corals but my nitrite and nitrate are both 0 and i dont turn of the lights right away i give them a 30 minutes to a hour to let them settle down.

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont test phosphates because i don't have corals but my nitrite and nitrate are both 0 and i dont turn of the lights right away i give them a 30 minutes to a hour to let them settle down.

you are heading for a algae storm, you need to check phosphate, as long as your parameters are good then it’s a good feeding system but feeding until they stop eating 3 times a day sounds a lot, and then to also not be bothered about any in the sand bed is storing up issues.
By all means feed the shrimp and crap but target feed them.

Feeding a few times a day is good but it doesn’t have to be until they stop eating.

Upvote 0

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Routine sounds good. I feed twice a day, with the last feeding shortly before lights out. I don't like flakes. I feed five types of frozen I rotate. Randomly an additional feeding of TDO chroma boost and live baby brine.

Upvote 0

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on your nutrient import/export.

Only feed as much as your filtration can handle.

Mine can handle a lot, so I feed heavily. I feed my fish at least 3-4 times a day, with a variety of frozen foods.
I only feed pellets/flake via pellet feeder when I'm away or on vacation.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated, I would use mysis as your primary food and mix in the pellets and flake throughout the week.....kind of reverse what you are doing now.
I want to feed brine shrimp but most of my fish are too small to eat them the only thing that eats them is my angel that’s why do it only a few times a week.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on your nutrient import/export.

Only feed as much as your filtration can handle.

Mine can handle a lot, so I feed heavily. I feed my fish at least 3-4 times a day, with a variety of frozen foods.
I only feed pellets/flake via pellet feeder when I'm away or on vacation.
What kind of filter do you have?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feed to “they stop eating” that would be too, too much.
If they all feed for a minute or two, and very little settles, that’s a better for all.
Timing is fine, just be consistent.
They will ALWAYS look hungry.
Is it better to feed a lot once of a a few times with a little amount?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are heading for a algae storm, you need to check phosphate, as long as your parameters are good then it’s a good feeding system but feeding until they stop eating 3 times a day sounds a lot, and then to also not be bothered about any in the sand bed is storing up issues.
By all means feed the shrimp and crap but target feed them.

Feeding a few times a day is good but it doesn’t have to be until they stop eating.
I’m already kind of in a algae storm, could high phosphate kill fish and how can i lower it?

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m already kind of in a algae storm, could high phosphate kill fish and how can i lower it?
Algae is fueled by light and phosphate.
Reduce those, reduce algae.

I doubt your phosphate would kill.
But you want to manage that element in the 0.03-.1ppm range, the stabler, the better.
The only accurate read for phosphate, (which is a really, really small amount) IMO is the Hanna, UL Phosphorus test in PPB.

One of my other kits read .25ppm for a year, then to find its was a actually 0.05ppm, confirmed by ICP.

You can use an LC type product if you have fine filtration (phosphate bonds to the LC, creates a floculent, which is filtered out)

Or GFO like say Rowaphos (or whatever) and it will mop up that.

Be sure to test, don’t let it zero or you may see Dino’s or cyanos.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is fueled by light and phosphate.
Reduce those, reduce algae.

I doubt your phosphate would kill.
But you want to manage that element in the 0.03-.1ppm range, the stabler, the better.
The only accurate read for phosphate, (which is a really, really small amount) IMO is the Hanna, UL Phosphorus test in PPB.

One of my other kits read .25ppm for a year, then to find its was a actually 0.05ppm, confirmed by ICP.

You can use an LC type product if you have fine filtration (phosphate bonds to the LC, creates a floculent, which is filtered out)

Or GFO like say Rowaphos (or whatever) and it will mop up that.

Be sure to test, don’t let it zero or you may see Dino’s or cyanos.
I got a green killing matching will this remove phosphate’s and i also ordered a api phosphate test should i just cancel it?

Upvote 0

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a green killing matching will this remove phosphate’s and i also ordered a api phosphate test should i just cancel it?
No it will not reduce Phosphates. Thats just a tiny UV sterilizer. Most will say that API test are really bad. Personally I use Hanna checkers for everything I test for other than calcium and magnesium, those are Salifert tests.

Upvote 0

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it better to feed a lot once of a a few times with a little amount?
Depending on what inhabitants you have, some fish requirements are alot more needy like mandarin or scooter blenny, majority of fish like clowns will appreciate a two time daily feed, alot of us over feed, my daughter sometimes/again sometimes, puts pellets in morning when I'm at work, (I find some on floor as she's still not tall enough) but this is occasionally. Then once I'm home from work, good feed of various live and frozen usually about 2 hrs before lights out :)

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back