Am I feeding my tank enough?

be_ninja_pancake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15 gal tank with a pair of clowns, 1 yellow goby, 1 pistol shrimp, 2 scarlet leg hermits, 1 Halloween hermit, 2 nessarius snails, 1 fire dart fish, and a variety of corals (1 hammer frag, 6 different varieties of zoa frags, 1 hobgoblin frag, 1 stylocoeniella frag, 1 stylophora frag, 1 sinuleria frag, 1 ricordea mushroom frag, and 1 platygyra frag).

I feed my reef tank once a day with either frozen food or pellets, and I'll sometimes (about 2-3 times a week) spot feed my sand sifting sea star with brine shrimp because it's in the process of regenerating limbs. I also give the corals zoo/phytoplankton/copepods about 3-4 times a week.

I'm seeing others say they feed their tanks twice a day. Should I be feeding the tank more? Or am I good with how often I feed the tank every day?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns, a sea star, a sea cucumber a small mantis shrimp some snails and hermit crabs and I only feed every second or third day!

If you want to feed twice a day just feed less at each feeding.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
be_ninja_pancake

be_ninja_pancake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns, a sea star, a sea cucumber a small mantis shrimp some snails and hermit crabs and I only feed every second or third day!

If you want to feed twice a day just feed less at each feeding.
Thank you for the input! I asked only because my bigger clownfish, Tom, is an absolute piggy and he eats most of the food in the tank and nibbles the pipette I didn’t know if it was normal or not for clowns to act like they’re always starving or that’s just his personality

Upvote 0

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input! I asked only because my bigger clownfish, Tom, is an absolute piggy and he eats most of the food in the tank and nibbles the pipette I didn’t know if it was normal or not for clowns to act like they’re always starving or that’s just his personality
I think clowns are just piggies. I think I am going to cut back on feedings to every other day instead of 1-2x daily.

Upvote 0

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much like doggies, these animals will pull your heart strings with big sad eyes and swim near the top at even a Whif of getting some food. As long as they are acting healthy and look fat, it is all good.

I have 17 fish so a bit different but they get pellets in the AM, frozen mix at 1, and flakes at 6-8 P.M.

They all act like they’re starving in between, but man do I have some fat fish.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a 15 gal tank with a pair of clowns, 1 yellow goby, 1 pistol shrimp, 2 scarlet leg hermits, 1 Halloween hermit, 2 nessarius snails, 1 fire dart fish, and a variety of corals (1 hammer frag, 6 different varieties of zoa frags, 1 hobgoblin frag, 1 stylocoeniella frag, 1 stylophora frag, 1 sinuleria frag, 1 ricordea mushroom frag, and 1 platygyra frag).

I feed my reef tank once a day with either frozen food or pellets, and I'll sometimes (about 2-3 times a week) spot feed my sand sifting sea star with brine shrimp because it's in the process of regenerating limbs. I also give the corals zoo/phytoplankton/copepods about 3-4 times a week.

I'm seeing others say they feed their tanks twice a day. Should I be feeding the tank more? Or am I good with how often I feed the tank every day?
feeding will be based on number of occupants, filtration and volume but my best answer is to feed at least 2-3 times daily and offer what they can clean up within a couple of minutes and offer a varied diet.
Its easier to add food to tank than to remove it

Upvote 0

Mperry622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So glad to have seen this post!!
1 nori/garlic seaweed strip clipped to glass(snails eat if fish dont)
4 brine shrimp cubes.
2 Mysis shrimp cubes
pinch of flakes and pinch of pellets
--Twice daily--
red sea AB+ 30ml after lights go out.
reef roids on Saturday

after writing this down it seems I may be over doing it :-(

I have spent the last year feeding the same to my fish. no clue if too much or not enough.
emperor angel 1.2 yrs old
Cowfish 1.3 yrs
pair of clowns 1 yr old
Royal grama 1 yr
coral beauty 1 yr
Niger trigger fish (owned for a year) was a adoption
2x blue hippo tang (1 yr and another adoption @ 1 yr)
long nose butterfly angel
flame angel
yellow tail blue damsel 1.5 yrs (original cycle fish)
10 asteria snails.
6 hermits
1 cleaner shrimp

had 10 turbo snails but they live in sump due to being coral bulldozers lol

Upvote 0

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion all tanks should be feed 4+ times daily to more closely mimic the food intake frequency that fish are designed for.
Basically only predators eats one huge meal daily/every other day.
With that being said, don’t go hog wild with the feeding amounts. Basically take that one feeding a day and split the volume up in to smaller amounts.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So glad to have seen this post!!
1 nori/garlic seaweed strip clipped to glass(snails eat if fish dont)
4 brine shrimp cubes.
2 Mysis shrimp cubes
pinch of flakes and pinch of pellets
--Twice daily--
red sea AB+ 30ml after lights go out.
reef roids on Saturday

after writing this down it seems I may be over doing it :-(

I have spent the last year feeding the same to my fish. no clue if too much or not enough.
emperor angel 1.2 yrs old
Cowfish 1.3 yrs
pair of clowns 1 yr old
Royal grama 1 yr
coral beauty 1 yr
Niger trigger fish (owned for a year) was a adoption
2x blue hippo tang (1 yr and another adoption @ 1 yr)
long nose butterfly angel
flame angel
yellow tail blue damsel 1.5 yrs (original cycle fish)
10 asteria snails.
6 hermits
1 cleaner shrimp

had 10 turbo snails but they live in sump due to being coral bulldozers lol
For that number of fish seems just right.
My fish consume 4-6 oz of food daily

Upvote 0

scottj6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion all tanks should be feed 4+ times daily to more closely mimic the food intake frequency that fish are designed for.
Basically only predators eats one huge meal daily/every other day.
With that being said, don’t go hog wild with the feeding amounts. Basically take that one feeding a day and split the volume up in to smaller amounts.
While I appreciate what you are saying, who has time for that in normal everyday lives?!

Upvote 0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3x day minimum for me. 1 frozen cube, a chunk of fish frenzy and sprinkles of 2 different pellets each meal. I have quite a few fish (close to 20), but none are over 4" yet. But it definitely keeps them in a good weight;) I figure the more prepared foods they have to munch on the less likely they will munch on other inverts, coral

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back