Am I just throwing away money?

  • Thread starter Thread starter KJoFan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 27, 2011
Messages
2,067
Reaction score
1,409
Location
MN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current setup is a 66g sps/acro dominant tank. Dimensions are 32x24x20. Current lighting is a Reefbrite 250w MH pendant w/ 4x Reefbrite XHO blue strips (only really used for dawn/dusk effect).

I'm considering changing this out for a Giesemann 24" Spectra. So, I'd be essentially adding 4x T5 bulbs.

My concern is that as the tank fills in I'll be lacking some light, especially around the edges and lower down. Right now everything is pretty much small frags so probably fine.

Is my current setup sufficient long term or would the switch be wiser?
 
Current setup is a 66g sps/acro dominant tank. Dimensions are 32x24x20. Current lighting is a Reefbrite 250w MH pendant w/ 4x Reefbrite XHO blue strips (only really used for dawn/dusk effect).

I'm considering changing this out for a Giesemann 24" Spectra. So, I'd be essentially adding 4x T5 bulbs.

My concern is that as the tank fills in I'll be lacking some light, especially around the edges and lower down. Right now everything is pretty much small frags so probably fine.

Is my current setup sufficient long term or would the switch be wiser?
What I run on my tank well two of them I have a par picture on my build thread if you would like to look into it.

I would say first off why do u want to switch?
 
What I run on my tank well two of them I have a par picture on my build thread if you would like to look into it.

I would say first off why do u want to switch?

I'll take a look at your par numbers. Main reason to switch is really just concern I don't or more importantly won't have enough light once the tank fills in. At least, I'm hoping all these acro frags turn into colonies. :D

But really, that's my biggest reason/concern, that the single 250w just won't have enough coverage down the road.
 
Have you looked into led? The research and results are worth the money in the long run. Possibly look into it proven to grow sps really well.
 
Have you looked into led? The research and results are worth the money in the long run. Possibly look into it proven to grow sps really well.
I have, and I know some get great results with led. Me, on the other hand, haven't had the best of luck with led, so I kept it simple/old school this time, at least for now. :)
 
Alright whatever works and you feel comfortable using at the moment is what's best.
 
Alright whatever works and you feel comfortable using at the moment is what's best.
Maybe eventually when I feel more experienced and successful with acros I'll venture into leds. Until then, I better KISS.
 
Haha yeah I'm just starting my venture into sps right now so I'll see first hand how the leds work for me and keep you posted.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new