Am I level enough to test fill?

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have some equipment I want to test out on my reefer 350 that will be moved into my house from a friend’s basement in about a month. His basement is concrete and very unlevel. I shimmed several of the feet and was able to have it leveled close. See pics. Think I’m good to test fill and run return pump, etc for a day or two?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Z

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, I personally wouldn't hesitate to test fill that tank......that isn't that far off from being level. Others might have a different opinion though lol.
That’s what I’m leaning towards. I just want to be certain since this is my first Red Sea tank, and I’ve read all the horror stories haha. Though I believe those were mostly with the 425 and up sizes.

On a side note, the reefer 350 front pane is supposed to hang over the front part of the stand, and the back pane needs to be on the level mat correct?

Jason777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to check with a water level once I've gotten close with the bubble level, just grab a piece of tubing. Good for the left/right measurement if you don't have a long bubble level.

OP
OP
Z

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like to check with a water level once I've gotten close with the bubble level, just grab a piece of tubing. Good for the left/right measurement if you don't have a long bubble level.
My level is 4 feet unfortunately. But I definitely will when it’s in its permanent location in my house

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just lift up the level on one end to make the bubble leveled and see how far off it is. If it's <0.25", a couple days should be fine.
I would hesitate to fill if it's more than 0.5" off on a rimless. If it's fill and drain, okay. But if it's sitting there for a couple days, you can potentially weaken the silicone with all that weight tilting to one side.
On another note. How hard is it to level a tank that size? I shimmed and leveled my 800lb within an hour. I rather be safe than sorry.

IMG_5718.jpg

OP
OP
Z

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just lift up the level on one end to make the bubble leveled and see how far off it is. If it's <0.25", a couple days should be fine.
I would hesitate to fill if it's more than 0.5" off on a rimless. If it's fill and drain, okay. But if it's sitting there for a couple days, you can potentially weaken the silicone with all that weight tilting to one side.
On another note. How hard is it to level a tank that size? I shimmed and leveled my 800lb within an hour. I rather be safe than sorry.

IMG_5718.jpg
Using a retractable tape measurer, it appears to be 2/7th of an inch off level. Odd measurement but closer to 1/4” than 1/2”

I used an inflatable wedge to lift the stand to slide shims under it. I’m just out of shims since I had to double up on 3 feet lol.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.285" is probably fine for a couple days. If the tank is braced at the top, I wouldn't hesitate. A rimless needs to be more careful. But then again, I see people running 1-2" wave on their rimless tank. So who knows.

Back