Am I safe to use old water in tank upgrade?

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that there are multiple write ups on using old tank water but I would very much appreciate situation specific advice if you folks don’t mind. I’m moving my 2’ tessalata eel from his current 55 long holding tank to a 90 gal 4’ x 2’ x 18” (L x W x H) with sump (sump is about 25 gallons) I’ve taken precautions and got about 50 gallons of RO/DI from the lfs to use in the 90 but the question I have is can I use the water he is in now in the new tank to help boost the bacteria colony and more specifically, what parameters do I need to adjust and how do I do that? Test results attached. Thank you for all your help. I realize that even the 90 will be a temporary tank for him but I want his time in there to be pleasant and for him to be healthy. Following link is to the thread I have going which will document my experience keeping a tessalata (diet, tank mates, behavior etc.)

59FD8398-7D91-4A89-87A5-48E2FAB07FA4.jpeg

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a good way to help inoculate the new system. I’m going to be doing it along with transferring bio media when I move the stuff in my 53g over to my 120
Okay awesome thank you. How do my parameters look? See anything off or any suggestions for improvement?

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently successfully moved my tank to different home. Replaced new sand with the old one and ripped clean my tank. I secured the bio media in a cup of tank water and replaced the tank with entirely new RODI water. Whaat I noticed was before adding my live rock back in. The tank was constantly cloudy. After adding live rock the tank became instantly cleared. So you don’t have to wait nor you have to use your old tank water.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay awesome thank you. How do my parameters look? See anything off or any suggestions for improvement?

nitrate and phosphate are what some would consider on the high side. Same with Ca. But if it’s just a FOWLR and all the inhabitants are fine you’re probably okay.

I’d think about setting up a algae reactor, scrubber, or macro refugium if you want to help with params long term

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrate and phosphate are what some would consider on the high side. Same with Ca. But if it’s just a FOWLR and all the inhabitants are fine you’re probably okay.

I’d think about setting up a algae reactor, scrubber, or macro refugium if you want to help with params long term
The cleaner wrasse, scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp and tessalata eel and even misc snails/hermits all seem to be doing well. Here is a picture of the sump under the 90. It needs deep cleaned and all the previous media removed which is on my to do list. I definitely do want a refugium as I plan on setting up a 10 gal grow out tank (I also have a reef tank) and using this sump for it in addition to the 90. I have rough plumbing plans. Where should I put the refugium or algae reactor in this sump and would you be able to provide any links to threads setting one up? Thank you
image.jpg

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cleaner wrasse, scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp and tessalata eel and even misc snails/hermits all seem to be doing well. Here is a picture of the sump under the 90. It needs deep cleaned and all the previous media removed which is on my to do list. I definitely do want a refugium as I plan on setting up a 10 gal grow out tank (I also have a reef tank) and using this sump for it in addition to the 90. I have rough plumbing plans. Where should I put the refugium or algae reactor in this sump and would you be able to provide any links to threads setting one up? Thank you
image.jpg

let me call in a few of my gurus. They could likely help.

@fishguy242 @Eagle_Steve @F i s h y
@Lost in the Sauce @sp1187
@danieyella

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. I’m really trying to take my time setting this up and do it right. I don’t think I’ve ever cared for an animal more than I do this eel.

my pleasure. I get it friend. Trust me. I’m 2 years in and my main display hasn’t gotten wet yet lol.

incidentally I’ll be following your experiences with that gorgeous nope rope. Such a gorgeous beasty. Hopefully I can learn some from your journey so I can one day get the dream fish: dragon eel

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a good way to help inoculate the new system. I’m going to be doing it along with transferring bio media when I move the stuff in my 53g over to my 120
I put live rock chips and other live stuff in a canister filter. Run it in the present tank for while. Also like above don't throw the wster out.

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, even if parameters seem off a bit, using old water to top off the new tank from what you lack with new water is like doing a water change. Almost doubling water volume, so it'll kind of be like a 50% water change. In my mind anyway lol.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my pleasure. I get it friend. Trust me. I’m 2 years in and my main display hasn’t gotten wet yet lol.

incidentally I’ll be following your experiences with that gorgeous nope rope. Such a gorgeous beasty. Hopefully I can learn some from your journey so I can one day get the dream fish: dragon eel
Awesome! I hope I can be of help!

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, even if parameters seem off a bit, using old water to top off the new tank from what you lack with new water is like doing a water change. Almost doubling water volume, so it'll kind of be like a 50% water change. In my mind anyway lol.
That is a great way of thinking about it! Never thought about it like that, thanks!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to use some of your old tank water to fill the new tank, that is not a problem. Beneficial bacteria is mostly in the rock, so that will not transfer. However, using the old water to make up the difference to the new water is just fine. Saves on water and may help the transition of the occupants.
To limit some of the gunk, you can use a filter sock to run the old water through into the new tank. Just to get some of the debris or algae from old tank limited.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..the question I have is can I use the water he is in now in the new tank to help boost the bacteria colony..

The answer is yes, you can Absolutely use your old tank water to help fill up the larger tank, supplemented with newly mixed saltwater.

So far as boosting the bacterial colony, It won't for all intent and purpose.

There's so little free floating bacteria (of the type we are speaking) in the water itself, that you aren't gaining much if Any help there. Having established hard media like live rock, bio anything is where your bacteria colonize.

The best way to use existing tank water is to know you're doing it up front and plan for it When it is time to transfer, pull all the water you need to transfer plus some straight Off the top before disturbing anything. You do not want to fish out your eel, move rocks, messing up the water, then bring that water down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to use some of your old tank water to fill the new tank, that is not a problem. Beneficial bacteria is mostly in the rock, so that will not transfer. However, using the old water to make up the difference to the new water is just fine. Saves on water and may help the transition of the occupants.
To limit some of the gunk, you can use a filter sock to run the old water through into the new tank. Just to get some of the debris or algae from old tank limited.
This answered my question perfectly and gave me some insight on how to pull it off. Thank you!

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..the question I have is can I use the water he is in now in the new tank to help boost the bacteria colony..

The answer is yes, you can Absolutely use your old tank water to help fill up the larger tank, supplemented with newly mixed saltwater.

So far as boosting the bacterial colony, It won't for all intent and purpose.

There's so little free floating bacteria in the water itself, that you aren't gaining much if Any help there. Having established hard media like live rock, bio anything is where your bacteria colonize.

The best way to use existing tank water is to know you're doing it up front and plan for it When it is time to transfer, pull all the water you need to transfer plus some straight Off the top before disturbing anything. You do not want to fish out your eel, move rocks, messing up the water, then bring that water down.
Thank you! This helps a lot, I’m going to try to not disrupt anything and remove the water. That way I have less floating contaminants in the water and the eel is easier to catch. Then I’ll use a filter sock for the remaining water. Anything I should change or modify? Thanks again for everyone’s help

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of the rocks, can I do a quick rinse in RO/DI to knock off loose algae particles and detritus etc and still use them for beneficial bacteria or will rinsing them remove the bacteria too?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! This helps a lot, I’m going to try to not disrupt anything and remove the water. That way I have less floating contaminants in the water and the eel is easier to catch. Then I’ll use a filter sock for the remaining water. Anything I should change or modify? Thanks again for everyone’s help
Remove As much water as possible before disturbing anything. Once you start moving rocks, or sand, You are kicking up a bunch of crud into your tank that you do not want there.
I would not use water run through a filter sock, after disturbing the tank.
Once you've pulled your clean water, That would be a great time to take a turkey baster or power head and blast the daylights out of your rock to clean them. Get deep in all the little crevices and pores.

Dip all of your rock into RODI water before putting it in the new tank for a quick clean.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of the rocks, can I do a quick rinse in RO/DI to knock off loose algae particles and detritus etc and still use them for beneficial bacteria or will rinsing them remove the bacteria too?
Rinsing will have little to no effect on your bacteria colonization. Just don't let anything dry out.

Do you have new sand for the tank, or planning to reuse?

Either way, plan to wash it prior to putting it in the tank. Hose +bucket + spray nozzle works great for this.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back