Tessalata Eel Adventure

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided to start a new thread and document my experience with caring for a Tessalata eel. I didn’t find much information online except for that these eels get 6’ long, need 300+ gallons and eat everything. So I’m hoping I can post enough here to make this a documentary of sorts to give more information on them.

Mine is currently 2’ long and his best friend is a cleaner wrasse named Jerry. They are always with each other and eat side by side. There is also a cleaner shrimp in the tank named Sancho. One time Jerry poked the eels head too hard and the eel kinda snapped back to show Jerry he messed up but other than that and occasionally shaking Sancho the cleaner shrimp off, there has been no signs of aggression towards either tank mate. He is currently in a 55 Long but I just picked up a 90 gallon 2’ x 4’ x 18” with sump that will serve him well for a while longer. With that being said, is it okay to use his current water in the new tank to help speed the cycle along? Or would I be better starting with completely new water? Pictures of test results attached.

7401A3CD-DC17-4163-9E8A-B91184DB261E.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse the low quality of photos. These were extracted from videos taken on my iPhone. I would include the videos but I have had the hardest time getting them to work on here. In the very last picture, which is a family photo of the tank inhabitants, if you look hard enough you can find Sancho the cleaner shrimp. As of right now I feed the Leviathan (which is what I affectionately refer to the tessalata as) 5-6 jumbo shrimp every third day. I know when he is hungry because he gets very curious about the lid of the tank. I make sure to use feeding tongs and when it is feeding time I tap the lid two times with the tongs in an effort to “train” the eel. I’ve heard of some other people doing this and wanted to try it. The reason being is an attempt to have the eel associate the taps with food and not think every time the lid opens it’s feeding time. The last thing I want is to open the lid for tank maintenance and he is trying to bite me. I already say a little prayer every time I have to put my hand in there. His teeth are half inch razors. I have the utmost respect for this animal

22E90DC0-BD26-4AD0-9E6C-3835BEB540EA.jpeg 35587B2A-7789-489C-A9BB-320C663DD898.jpeg B8D392C7-13DA-46E2-B5F2-49ECAFF9AFA5.jpeg 76B29D6B-300F-449F-B4CB-9B5981E7B59C.jpeg 1BBC43BA-70D1-4F88-B57F-9B00A779A443.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!! o_O Spectacular!! (And I'm not an "eel" guy-- but impressive is what impressive is.)
He is definitely a crowd pleaser. I have a private Snapchat story dedicated to updates on Jerry, The Leviathan and Sancho and people love it. Also gives me more motivation to do well on the tank.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made a tik tok for my eel for those of you who are interested in that thing. The username is uwantmoray and I’ve even mentioned reef2reef as a place for people starting out to go for information. :)

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo ur vid came up on my gfs fyp lol

and now just found you are on r2r when i was just scrolling through eel stuff

MotherDucker87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I met and started loving/caring for a Tessalata Eel in April. I would really love to understand her better! I've gotten the fish professionals perspective and its not felt complete...from your experience, do you have any tips?

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I met and started loving/caring for a Tessalata Eel in April. I would really love to understand her better! I've gotten the fish professionals perspective and its not felt complete...from your experience, do you have any tips?
I do! If you have TikTok you should look me up! My username is @uwantmoray. I’ve been documenting my progress there. My Instagram also has the same username and my dms are always open there. As for tips off the top of my head, get a cleaner shrimp. Watching the two together is amazing. You definitely want a protein skimmer as well. I change food every other feeding. For example I’ll feed silversides and then salmon filets, then tuna ahi etc. they seem to get bored with the same food (wouldn’t you? Lol) these guys get huge and have sharp teeth but nevertheless don’t be scared of, but respect them. I’ve been bitten by mine and even though it was a super light bite it hurt so bad. If you have any other specific questions please feel free to reach out to me! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back