Am I to old??

ahumbard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago I had a reef tank like in the late 80s and early 90s. Life changed had a family and work all toke over. Now I'm 76 and can't do a lot of activities like golf and climbing mountains. I still like to be active so I thought maybe a Reef tank would be of interest. I thinking the size of around 200 gallons. Since it takes a lot of work and dedication I would want to keep it going into a least my mid 80s. I know maintenance is a big deal to be successful. I'm curious what people in the know thinks about this for a old guy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

dpoltsdsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you are too old at all. However, I personally think 200 gallons may get a bit difficult. Water changes will require some heavy lifting and it will be a lot to maintain.

A smaller tank 20-40 gallons may work a bit better for you on my opinion and be way easier to maintain. Just my two cents.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't do it now, when will you???

Automated water changes etc can reduce some of the heavy lifting.

My biggest concern would be a backup plan in case of temporary illness/hospitalization which is more common as we age. If you have to unexpectedly be away for a few days, can your tank take care of itself (automation of feeding/topoff/addiitves/etc) or do you have someone you can depend on to keep it going for you?

mig.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy - I’m interested to see the responses to this one.

Like anything you can make it as difficult, expensive and involved as you want. My healthiest tanks and happiest corals live by none of the guidance you’ll typically find. Tanks in front of windows yep, measuring everything 3 times a day nope, water changes frequently never. Sumps nope, HOB filters yep - and one AIO. Dipping everything - nope - but I do buy from trusted sources.

Actually I do subscribe to leaving a coral alone if it’s happy. And I do clean the glass and sometimes the gravel but none of this is heavy maintenance. Just depends on how pristine you want your tank.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240315_123538.gif

Welcome!

A 200g tank will definitely take commitment, but if that's what you want to do, then do it!

One thing I would recommend is with a tank that big, I would do small water changes daily, like 3-5g, so at the end of the week you have changed out roughly 25g of water, but it was a lot easier. Again, doing water changes every day will take lots of dedication, but if you feel that's what you want to do, then do it!!!

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you are too old at all. However, I personally think 200 gallons may get a bit difficult. Water changes will require some heavy lifting and it will be a lot to maintain.

A smaller tank 20-40 gallons may work a bit better for you on my opinion and be way easier to maintain. Just my two cents.
This. I wouldn’t want a 200 gal tank at 76. But a nano to small tank around 20-40 gal sounds sweet.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome ! As others have said, my concern would be with the lifting. 200 gallons will evaporate a lot of water, even if you don’t change water a lot. This is hard on the back, legs and knees.

A smaller tank would be a lot easier because of that.

But no, you’re not too old ! :)

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im 66. Currently setting up a 60×30×21 system. If its setup right it should not be an issue.
Have a plan before you begin. You can make it as hard or as simple as you want.
If you have the time and passion go for it.
Only concern would be your current level of experience as their is a lot to learn and undrrstand.
Best advice is to pick the type of system you want and follow someone who is successful with it.
Following the advice of say 10 different people can and may lead to confusion.
Good luck on whatever you decide as its an increadable hobby when done right.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back