OP
OP
ahumbard

ahumbard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard! Like every else here I agree you’re never too old. I also agree that the 200 may be too much to handle, but that will ultimately be your call based on what you think you can handle.

I started my first reef tank last September (I had fresh water throughout college, my first, and into my current marriage) after six months of research. I ended up with a Red Sea (G2) Peninsula because it was the only tank I could find that fit the space I had. The display is 74 gallons, and the tank is a non-standard 3’x2’2’. I love the extra height and width over the 18” models. In our world, this is considered a small tank, and I struggled with it initially because bigger is better. I almost went with an IM custom 100, but the added foot of width brought it too far into the room. No, the 74 was it like it or not.

Turns out that, while I think I could handle a larger tank, I don’t want to. This one is a perfect size that doesn’t demand all of my time, so my time with it is more enjoyable. There’s something to be said for that balance. Good luck and enjoy!

Something to consider.
Thank you for your reply. The reason I'm going with the 200 is this is my one shot and last thing I wanted was the urge to go bigger.

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome-to-the-team-meme-work.jpeg

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turned 56 I’ve been at it for 31 years and I’m running a 90 gallon and 30 gallon and it is honestly kicking my backside in pretty bad, but i also have some pretty bad health issues with my back, knees and leg’s, last Sunday i took two lights off of my 30 gallon and replaced them with a new light and I’ve been in serious pain all week, even adding new fish or doing small water changes is very painful, but if you can do it then i say go for it and if you could afford a maintenance company to do all the work for you. That would be the way to go. Best of luck. I hope it works out for you. It’s definitely something you would really enjoy.

Summitwynds2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad you posted this. Im having the same thoughts - "do I want to start up a tank that big at my age". Im looking at the IM 200 (although the IM240 would fit perfectly in my space). I keep going back and forth about going as big as the 200. Currently have a 200 freshwater that was a reef. Until my husband got brain cancer, and I was taking care of him until he passed. I just didnt have the time or desire to keep that tank going as a reef and ended up converting it to FW. So, now missing the reef I ended up getting a IM15, and last month upgrading to an IM 25. But its just not enough. ;) Im 62 and have been wondering if I should go with a 200. My 2 grandkids (5 and almost 3) live right next door and come over all the time. I think it would be a fun project to have them involved in the set up and maintenance. Hook 'em young. ;)

Im looking forward to your set up.

PharmrJohn

Maker of Enchiladas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. I have a structural engineer set to come and have a look in our crawl space. I have a idea of what it will cost but I would be interested in what you or someone else could give a very rough estimate.
LOL, I have no idea. I made a phone call yesterday to a contractor to come and take a look so I may move forward to a 120G build. I have a feeling BOTH of us are gonna feel a sting!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad you posted this. Im having the same thoughts - "do I want to start up a tank that big at my age". Im looking at the IM 200 (although the IM240 would fit perfectly in my space). I keep going back and forth about going as big as the 200. Currently have a 200 freshwater that was a reef. Until my husband got brain cancer, and I was taking care of him until he passed. I just didnt have the time or desire to keep that tank going as a reef and ended up converting it to FW. So, now missing the reef I ended up getting a IM15, and last month upgrading to an IM 25. But its just not enough. ;) Im 62 and have been wondering if I should go with a 200. My 2 grandkids (5 and almost 3) live right next door and come over all the time. I think it would be a fun project to have them involved in the set up and maintenance. Hook 'em young. ;)

Im looking forward to your set up.
do it
You Know You Want To Daniel Radcliffe GIF by Oregon Trail

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back