Amazing how my wife puts up with me

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got out of racing Corvettes. (Not bragging about it, it just got dang too expensive.) Sat around the house moping and bored. She said I needed a new hobby. I had freshwater tanks years ago but always wanted saltwater.

Six months later I have a BioCube 16, a Red Sea 525 XL, a QT for corals and inverts and a QT for fish. And I had to move a bunch of her stuff to make room for the tanks.

And she's OK with it all.

Just wanted to post that my wife is amazing that she puts up with me.

Pelagic One

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate this thread and understand the OP’s appreciation for his wife. Although I raced an old ‘87 Corvette in Autocross events, my lifelong passion has been sailing. Everytime something needs repair or replacement, I always recite the acronym B.O.A.T.: Bust Out Another Thousand.

So it’s all relative, I guess. My wife appreciates my starting up again with my tank build because it keeps me at home, and not cruising the bay for a day or two. Short of a total tank collapse, a repair or replacement is only in the hundreds of dollars, and would rarely reach a $1k.

But if one’s other hobby is stamp collecting, for instance, I’d say the startup cost can be quite the shock. That’s when a YouTube video of a Reef tank has its appeal. ;)

No offense intended to those leaning towards the philatelic hobby, as I still have quite the stamp collection sitting at my parents’ house. Maybe someday I’ll be able to sell the stamp collection to pay for some Triton Core7...whenever it’s back in stock! :rolleyes:

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s ironic seeing this thread because i was just thinking the same thing. I put down the bottle and picked up the reefing hobby and its saved my life in a way. It’s amazing the support we get from our spouses in this hobby.
Congrats on your transformation and welcome to the hobby.

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got out of racing Corvettes. (Not bragging about it, it just got dang too expensive.) Sat around the house moping and bored. She said I needed a new hobby. I had freshwater tanks years ago but always wanted saltwater.

Six months later I have a BioCube 16, a Red Sea 525 XL, a QT for corals and inverts and a QT for fish. And I had to move a bunch of her stuff to make room for the tanks.

And she's OK with it all.

Just wanted to post that my wife is amazing that she puts up with me.

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I have an advantage, I am not nor have I ever been married. I date a lot of Ladies most (if not all) are looking for a wealthy man to cater and take care of them especially in the age bracket I date (36 to 40) and with few exceptions they all move on when they come to the understanding that I am not going to ask them to marry me, which is just fine with me.

For those of you men who have a helpful and supportive wife, you are very lucky and for the very few of you who's wife enjoys the hobby you choose well.

6Bolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I have an advantage, I am not nor have I ever been married. I date a lot of Ladies most (if not all) are looking for a wealthy man to cater and take care of them especially in the age bracket I date (36 to 40) and with few exceptions they all move on when they come to the understanding that I am not going to ask them to marry me, which is just fine with me.

For those of you men who have a helpful and supportive wife, you are very lucky and for the very few of you who's wife enjoys the hobby you choose well.

You and I are in the same boat. I have experienced similar behaviors in my State, where they move on after a certain time has passed.

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I started with a freshwater tank about 6 months ago. It was okay but it was so boring. Went to her brothers house and she fell in love with his clownfish "cuddling" his anemone and now she is the biggest supporter of my reef tank. She is always the one that wants to go to the fish store even when I don't want to to buy new corals, and look at the starfish and shrimp... I don't understand why she loves shrimp so much.. the last one she picked out has been stealing food from my acan.
But it's cool having a wife that supports me when I say that I need to spend x amount of money on something for the tank because it needs it to thrive.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back