Ammo Lock ???

Haroldeez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any definitive experience with API Ammo Lock? I had a slight spike and dosed with Ammo... now, I keep getting readings of 8ppm ammonia. I’ve done 3 water changes of 25% in 6 days and it still reads 8ppm... my fish are just as happy/hungry as ever. Getting really frustrated and really do NOT want to do a 90% water change what a waste of $$. Any help would be appreciated

OP
OP
H

Haroldeez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I’ve dosed 12 ounces, 4 oz every other day, of Dt Tim O and O .... nothing changes

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a little ammo lock to some fresh mixed saltwater and see if it causes a high reading.

OP
OP
H

Haroldeez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason i jumped into thinking my gun hobby.... haha i was wrong lol
I do every time I look at Ammo Lock. Good or bad product, it has probably the coolest product name of all lol!

OP
OP
H

Haroldeez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a little ammo lock to some fresh mixed saltwater and see if it causes a high reading.
Yup I did do that. It had no affect. I’ve heard it can mess up readings but I don’t know. 8ppm. My fish should be DEAD. They are quite the opposite

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any definitive experience with API Ammo Lock? I had a slight spike and dosed with Ammo... now, I keep getting readings of 8ppm ammonia. I’ve done 3 water changes of 25% in 6 days and it still reads 8ppm... my fish are just as happy/hungry as ever. Getting really frustrated and really do NOT want to do a 90% water change what a waste of $$. Any help would be appreciated
I would test ammonia with the seachem multitest ammonia test. It measures total (free+locked) and free ammonia separately.
the 'problem' is most ammonia test kits measure the free, and locked ammonia the same. So ammo locks lock up the dangerous free ammonia but you still test ammonia. So you add more ammo lock test and repeat. The ammo locks reduce oxygen. And with overdosing the fish can actually suffocate displaying much the same symptoms as ammonia.

I prefer to consume ammonia with macro algaes which also consume co2 and return oxygen.

Another option is the seachem ammo dot. Which measures the dangerous free ammonia only.

If you absolutely insist on using ammo locks like api or Prime, only treat for the dangerous free ammonia measured with the multitest kit of the ammo dot.

my .02

OP
OP
H

Haroldeez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test ammonia with the seachem multitest ammonia test. It measures total (free+locked) and free ammonia separately.
the 'problem' is most ammonia test kits measure the free, and locked ammonia the same. So ammo locks lock up the dangerous free ammonia but you still test ammonia. So you add more ammo lock test and repeat. The ammo locks reduce oxygen. And with overdosing the fish can actually suffocate displaying much the same symptoms as ammonia.

I prefer to consume ammonia with macro algaes which also consume co2 and return oxygen.

Another option is the seachem ammo dot. Which measures the dangerous free ammonia only.

If you absolutely insist on using ammo locks like api or Prime, only treat for the dangerous free ammonia measured with the multitest kit of the ammo dot.

my .02
Ok yes this is helpful. Ordering the test now. Where I live, all we have is a miserably stocked Petsmart. They have NOTHING. I found the ammolock there. I have to go to Amazon for anything good. Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Have had good luck with it in freshwater. For marine, would add it to newly mixed water and not directly to the tank

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back