Ammonia dosing

KadeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
New to the hobby and my tank is well on the way to being cycled. I’m doing a fishless cycle and rather than just adding a fish or two once cycled I thought it best that I quarantine them first. Therefore, I’m wondering how much I should continue to dose my tank with Ammonia whilst waiting for the fish to finish their quarantine. I’m currently dosing enough to get it to 2 ppm.
It’s a 160 litre tank with a sump (unsure of size).
thanks for your help

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None is needed. Nobody in the history of reefing has ever starved a set in cycle, it’s purely a forum circulated notion. The other day here we cycled a reef tank and tested it for completion by just adding water, rocks and sixty days wait. nature provided the free bacteria and their feed

so that means if you don’t feed for nine years, the system is going to still feed anyway.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
New to the hobby and my tank is well on the way to being cycled. I’m doing a fishless cycle and rather than just adding a fish or two once cycled I thought it best that I quarantine them first. Therefore, I’m wondering how much I should continue to dose my tank with Ammonia whilst waiting for the fish to finish their quarantine. I’m currently dosing enough to get it to 2 ppm.
It’s a 160 litre tank with a sump (unsure of size).
thanks for your help
Agree with @brandon429. Not to mention, if you keep dosing to 2 ppm, you should also be doing water changes to keep NO3 under control. If not, when you do decided its time to add fish and coral, you will have NO3 in the high range and be battling other issues.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back