OP
Codemasterflex1

Codemasterflex1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. I would only do a water change if there's too much algae and you just manually scrubbed them off, then a water change helps remove a lot of it.
Well I wanted to do a water change to bring those nitrates down but I wasn’t too sure considering I have diatoms growing. I wanted to add some coralline algae from algae barn and copepods but I know I can’t do that with such high nitrates.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wanted to do a water change to bring those nitrates down but I wasn’t too sure considering I have diatoms growing. I wanted to add some coralline algae from algae barn and copepods but I know I can’t do that with such high nitrates.
Ah gotcha. Yeah feel free to do a big water change then to get nitratea down.

What's your plan for nitrate control long term? Just water changes or something else?

OP
OP
Codemasterflex1

Codemasterflex1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your plan for nitrate control long term? Just water changes or something else?

Yeah probably just water changes. Do you recommend anything else?

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More like two big ones
The big problem with using only water changes for nitrate export is dilution. When you remove 50% of the water (huge) you get a 50% reduction in nitrates. But the next 50% water change you might get 25% of the nitrates. In reality you wind up getting about half of the expected nitrates with big water changes.

You really need another export method like a refugium growing chaeto, algae scrubber, carbon dosing & skimmer etc.

OP
OP
Codemasterflex1

Codemasterflex1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big problem with using only water changes for nitrate export is dilution. When you remove 50% of the water (huge) you get a 50% reduction in nitrates. But the next 50% water change you might get 25% of the nitrates. In reality you wind up getting about half of the expected nitrates with big water changes.

You really need another export method like a refugium growing chaeto, algae scrubber, carbon dosing & skimmer etc.
Well this is the nitrate left over from my tank cycling

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m cycling a new tank. My ammonia is .25 ppm my nitrites is 0ppm and my nitrate is either 80 or 160 ppm (kinda hard to read the color a little). I’m just wondering what I should do because my ammonia hasn’t hit zero but my nitrites have. I’m a little confused about it.
You are still cycling. I used Red Sea Reef Mature and it took about 2 weeks for my cycle.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been over a month, on bottle bac

he's all set and complete

Codemaster
google: api false ammonia read

look at what numbers comes up as the false read
If the API test shows ammonia. Then it’s not done. Yeah API is junk but he still needs to be certain before dropping fish IMO

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could post forty pages of proof to the alternative if that would help reconvince you that any reef tank at one month submersion plus added bac controls all its ammonia, all the time

if it wont convince you, no need to repost as its already linked in post #3 but can be reread here if needed, let me know where you get your data from and we can compare notes.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its normal that a new tank would have high nitrates, see any reef recently cycled on any forum

many times its a false read caused by the presence of nitrites, which doesnt harm anything in a cycle it just messes up the testing further, like when you mentioned api is known to be problematic. it is for all three major cycling params.

where do you get your cycling info from, can you post it--curious as who is telling you a month old reef can't control free ammonia

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back