Ammonia not going down after adding Dr Tims

The Gamer Rustyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up my first salt water tank. i added Dr Tims and Dr Tims ammonia and i also half my media is from an established tank, but after 1 1/2 weeks my ammonia isnt dropping and stay at 2, yes im using API test kit i mention this as ive heard some people say they suck. after just a week the ammonia was at 2 so i added a 2nd bottle of Dr Tims and after 48 hours theres no change, my temp is at around 25 degrees Celsius should i be worried? how can i fix this?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up my first salt water tank. i added Dr Tims and Dr Tims ammonia and i also half my media is from an established tank, but after 1 1/2 weeks my ammonia isnt dropping and stay at 2, yes im using API test kit i mention this as ive heard some people say they suck. after just a week the ammonia was at 2 so i added a 2nd bottle of Dr Tims and after 48 hours theres no change, my temp is at around 25 degrees Celsius should i be worried? how can i fix this?

Dr Tims is at least a 2 week process and as you have pointed out yourself the test you are using is not the best, you say you know that, my suggestion is buy a better test kit, ammonia kits in general are not the best, try Seachem and also wait the stated amount of time in the instructions before you start panicking.

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In before the chemists!!!

Takes time. Can't rush the bacteria doing their thing. Two weeks (ish) is still "fast". No need to add more stuff.

I read lots of people using the recommended dose of ammonia (4 drops per gallon) was too much so I did half that in my 100 gallon. It put ammonio over 2ppm for me (Red Sea Ammonia Test kit). Higher ammonia (5ppm + IIRC) slows the bacteria down but won't stop it or "stall" it....they'll just take a little more time

On the Dr. Tims "schedule" I'm on day 13 but when I last tested on day 11 was at 0.2 ppm ammonia and dropping. So I'm "behind schedule" according to that...but the result is the same. Ammonia going down. Yours will too in time.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back