Ammonia not spiking during cycle

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is your evidence for "Very few have used them"?

I see the same errors everyone else sees - false positives.
There was a poll done some time ago - Few people had used API tests - but many had a negative opinion. I believe @nereefpat may remember

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There was a poll done some time ago - Few people had used API tests - but many had a negative opinion. I believe @nereefpat may remember
There are also multiple videos, etc - comparing tests - everyone has problems with certain tests.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
old cycling science can't see any type of acceptable cycle other than add 2 ppm wait for bone zero, hard rules. if they don't see a peak and trough they'll claim no water bacteria have set up in water.

this cycle here is a contact-time cycle, no spikes are needed to be able to carry ten fish at the end. you add the bottle bac, the fish, and in ten days if the surface area rock stack is average no degree of water changes will unstick the cycle. old cycling science cannot fathom that a tank that starts at zero ammonia/yellow on api if lucky, and never goes above that, can be cycled enough to carry ten fish. happens all the time /yep

an excellent indicator of old cycling science is any tank that's been carrying fish for days and days/weeks/months being deemed not cycled.

Last edited:

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only poll I can find related to API ammonia tests broke down to 60% of respondents saying "I never test ammonia" and 20% saying "This test has more false positives than other tests", 15% saying "This test has the same amount of false positives" followed by an even split over a half dozen other responses. Also, given the fact that there are 170K members on this site, and only 66 self selected people replied to that poll, I'd put it's predictive value at less than zero.

That isn't really evidence for the idea that most of the claims of API false positives are made up or hearsay.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm remembering correctly (maybe I'm not :) ), I'm thinking it was your poll? Anyway...

There was a poll where voters were supposed to cast multiple votes. There were lots of votes for "I believe API ammonia kits have false positives." But there were very few people that checked "I have used the API ammonia kit and had problems."

What I personally concluded was that there lots of people saying that the API kit is bad, while not ever using the kit. Now, I know there are lots of people who have used the API kit (it's cheap), and some of them don't like it. To some peoples' eyes, there is a green tint even on a cycled tank with no ammonia. However, I don't understand why anyone that who hasn't used the kit would complain about it...or why someone that doesn't have a fish tank would complain about an API test kit they haven't used.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only poll I can find related to API ammonia tests broke down to 60% of respondents saying "I never test ammonia" and 20% saying "This test has more false positives than other tests", 15% saying "This test has the same amount of false positives" followed by an even split over a half dozen other responses. Also, given the fact that there are 170K members on this site, and only 66 self selected people replied to that poll, I'd put it's predictive value at less than zero.

That isn't really evidence for the idea that most of the claims of API false positives are made up or hearsay.
I am going to disagree:). But - its all good

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I'm remembering correctly (maybe I'm not :) ), I'm thinking it was your poll? Anyway...

There was a poll where voters were supposed to cast multiple votes. There were lots of votes for "I believe API ammonia kits have false positives." But there were very few people that checked "I have used the API ammonia kit and had problems."

What I personally concluded was that there lots of people saying that the API kit is bad, while not ever using the kit. Now, I know there are lots of people who have used the API kit (it's cheap), and some of them don't like it. To some peoples' eyes, there is a green tint even on a cycled tank with no ammonia. However, I don't understand why anyone that who hasn't used the kit would complain about it...or why someone that doesn't have a fish tank would complain about an API test kit they haven't used.
Yes - I did post the poll:)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back