Ammonia spike

Shawn Boe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a waterbox marine x 35.1. 25 days old. Added a clean up crew 5 days ago and did a 50% water change
2 days ago noticed a ammonia spike.
Yesterday I did a 5 gallon water change and took apart auqascape and noticed a dead hermit Crab.
Red Reef test comes back as 0.2
Ati 0.50
How long should this take to play out?
Keep doing water changes or just leave it?

20211107_094042.jpg 16363069426312877716664061275448.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a waterbox marine x 35.1. 25 days old. Added a clean up crew 5 days ago and did a 50% water change
2 days ago noticed a ammonia spike.
Yesterday I did a 5 gallon water change and took apart auqascape and noticed a dead hermit Crab.
Red Reef test comes back as 0.2
Ati 0.50
How long should this take to play out?
Keep doing water changes or just leave it?

20211107_094042.jpg 16363069426312877716664061275448.jpg
I would not worry about it - nor would I say it was a 'spike'. The Red Sea test is supposed to be read from the top down (so its hard to see what the level is - but it seems to me to be at the 'lowest' level. Second - you cannot use the API reading with the red-sea vial. That is usually done in narrow tubes - placed onto the flat surface and read that way (though - it seems like lots of people put them 'standing up' - you Can't get an accurate reading that way IMHO.

To answer your question - At least from the place I bought My CUC - they usually tolerate much higher levels of ammonia than what you have. I would not do water changes - I would watch. PS - do you have nitrite/nitrate measurements? Hope this helps

OP
OP
Shawn Boe

Shawn Boe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about it - nor would I say it was a 'spike'. The Red Sea test is supposed to be read from the top down (so its hard to see what the level is - but it seems to me to be at the 'lowest' level. Second - you cannot use the API reading with the red-sea vial. That is usually done in narrow tubes - placed onto the flat surface and read that way (though - it seems like lots of people put them 'standing up' - you Can't get an accurate reading that way IMHO.

To answer your question - At least from the place I bought My CUC - they usually tolerate much higher levels of ammonia than what you have. I would not do water changes - I would watch. PS - do you have nitrite/nitrate measurements? Hope this helps
2.0 ppm nitrite 40 ppm nitrate

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so now the question becomes - how much of the nitrate/nitrite error comes into play? @Lasse

Nearly all I would say. I do not know the factor for red sea. I have seen that it should be lower than salifert, fauna marine and tropic marines test - but I do not know the actual factor.

The ammonia level if of no concern for me. The nitrite concentration should not be problematic either - a little uncertain how it affect hermits

@Shawn Boe Do you have any fish in the system? Have you possibilities to add some nitrification bacteria in what ever form? Please see this article for tips - Step 6 especially. If you cant´t access any of these suggestion - come back - I have more :D

Do not feed or add any more ammonia at present situation - I would not either add any fish in this moment, Just wait until your NO2 go down under 0.1. You will get other advises when the thread is going on - for sure - but these are mine.

Sincerely Lasse

Back