Ammonia spike

Daniel225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen my chalk goby since Christmas I know he was on his last legs because his belly was sunk and was always acting strange my question is I haven’t seen a ammonia spike I’ve taken rocks out but can’t find the body how long does it take to spike or will it be safe or should I strip the rocks and sieve the sand until it appears?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mention how old tank is or what cuc if any you got in a tank.and what size tank you have .
For a small goby to die in an " established tank" with sufficient cuc members then more than likely they will do their job and " clean up" the dead body and have 0 amnonia spike at all.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen my chalk goby since Christmas I know he was on his last legs because his belly was sunk and was always acting strange my question is I haven’t seen a ammonia spike I’ve taken rocks out but can’t find the body how long does it take to spike or will it be safe or should I strip the rocks and sieve the sand until it appears?
The bacteria and biodiversity in the system will sometimes make quick work of a dead fish especially if it’s small. I wouldn’t worry about it. You can do a water change if it bothers you. :)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mention how old tank is or what cuc if any you got in a tank.and what size tank you have .
For a small goby to die in an " established tank" with sufficient cuc members then more than likely they will do their job and " clean up" the dead body and have 0 amnonia spike at all.
Agreed.

OP
OP
Daniel225

Daniel225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a small goby to die in an " established tank" with sufficient cuc members then more than likely they will do their job and " clean up" the dead body and have 0 amnonia spike at all

next to no cleanup crew at all just 2 conch snails its 500L been setup since early November so still a new tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back